picking the right ship and location for honeymoon

chitowngal

I need help finding the right cruise for my honeymoon, my first choice of cruising is carnival and the southern Caribbean, my favorite itinerary was on the carnival elation the problem is, is that there are no balconies on this ship, and the next step up are 1100 dollar suites that we can just not afford especially with paying for air fare too. I did see a deal for the a princess ship for similar itinerary that was a $799 minisuite for September ( we are looking to go in September/October) but I do prefer carnival and we wont be ready to deposit until next month anyway. What is the likeliness of us booking a room and then carnival having a sale for suites? Or do you think I should just pick a different ship and itinerary. Please help im going crazy going back and forth. we can only afford to fly to florida ports, san juan cost 800 dollars to fly too!

You should check the eastern itins too. There are a lot of great ports there too. Have you cruised before? I hate to be the one to break bad news..but you are wanting to travel during hurricane season.:( I hope you figure something out. I have been in the western caribbean twice, and I loved it both times. We are going back in May!

Wow,Sue, where did you get tickets for $79 thats awesome, everthing i found was 400 per person. I live in Chicago.

luvgreys, yes i do know its hurricane season, thats why the tickets are so cheap! I definitely plan on getting travel insurance. I lived in Tampa for two years and lasted through 3 hurricanes. I am just crossing my fingers that they will miss. I may decided on a October cruise, thats when hurricane season dies down, although thats when hurricane andrew hit Miami, i think.

chitowngirl,

Worked in Chicago for many years, flew back and forth from LA.

I just looked online, and there are plenty of flights at that time to LA (to do a Mexican Riviera cruise) for about $240.

Other than that, it's your honeymoon, you NEED a balcony! (Trust me on this).

Also, it's your honeymoon, the room and balcony will be more important than the itinerary. It won't matter as much where you are (ports, etc.), It's going to be more about the ship and your cabin.:o

You should either go for Fantasy Class ships with a Category 11, or (I can't believe I'm saying this, those of you who know my history) a Category 12. The reason that I'm saying Category 12 on a Fantasy Class ship is...

They are absolutely the MOST enclosed and private balconies in the entire Carnival fleet.

Then otherwise I'd skip the Spirit Class (not as much action and fun for a honeymoon, and go the the next class up from that (Destiny I think, it has a better layout according to Host Randy, for fun and nightlife, but feel free to correct me here Randy).

I've cruised to Mexico a few times in October, and it's a little chilly first day out and last sea day (but will still be warmer compared to Chicago at that time), but then on the rest of the days, mighty warm, and not humid.

Just my opinion.

You still have a month to go, keep asking questions on this board, and I'm sure one of us CCers will be able to help you with the info.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Curt Jerome Wild:)

PS No hurricanes in the Pacific...

Thank you for the recommendations, I am starting to think the same thing, that the balcony is more important than the itinerary. I am torn between saving money and not overspending and also just getting everything i want because it is my honeymoon! Even though the southern/eastern carribean is sounding great, I looked at the temps around that time (sept/oct) and all of them are at the 90 degree mark! I am not sure my husband would be too thrilled about that, hows the temperature in cali and mexico at that time of year?

September/October

Well you picked a good time since it will be cheaper then!!! Any sale probably isn't going to be a great sale... or a big enough difference. I'd go ahead and book as soon as possible and hope for a decrease in fare (then ask for a credit)... Perhaps look at other ships... the newer, larger ships have balconies that are very reasonable (I generally get one from $720-$820), then again, I really don't cruise for the itinerary, I cruise to cruise and try to find the most reasonable fare so that I can cruise more often!!! Good luck!!!

Since you will be cruising in hurricane season, PLEASE get travel insurance!!!!

The temps will be about 90 in the Caribbean, and could be up there in Mexico as well. But, Los Angeles/Long Beach will be cool, and on the first and last sea day. Then it will warm up, as you get further south, and cool down again coming back. Bear in mind that you can not predict the weather that far out anywhere you go, you could have a hurricane in the Caribbean, or you could have rain in LA.

Also, consider looking at the ports that you are leaving from. You may be staying a day or two before or after, and one place could have something you want to do.

And, just my opinion, but why skimp on your honeymoon? You can always make more money before or after. :D

CJW

Also bear in mind that September is tornado/huricane season off the coast of Mexico. Oct 1st would be a better date than September. They have usually subsided by then.

We got chased by a BIG hurricane in Sept 2004 that traveled Hundreds of miles. We missed Pueta Viarta(SP?). No big deal. I'm like Go'ncruis'n... I just like to crusie. The cruise and waters were very smooth... tha Captain made sure of that.

Hey! Come to think of it... Carnival owes me a new cruise... that Huricane caused me to miss a port... :mad:

And I blame Carnival... :D

Archived