Buying currency for Norway (August cruise with Fred Olsen)

RC9786

My parents are going away this week with Fred Olsen on a cruise to Norway. They didn't get round to get a card that would allow them to make fee-free withdrawls while abroad/fee-free chip and pin transactions so they are mainly thinking about getting cash or cash loaded onto a pre-paid card. Basically, the question we want to know the answer to is, where would the best place be to get Norwegian Krone. We know that there is an onboard bureau de change service but the exchange rate you would get is not listed (just says that it is competitive). We have seen Eurochange doing a rate of 12.729 for Kroner but will it make much difference if they just buy some on board, I would have thought that it wouldn't be that competitive with it being a bit of a captive market. Has anyone sailed with them recently and could let us know what the exchange rates are like on board.

P.S. Do they still have computer rooms on board?

I have a (UK) Post Office Travel money card and have used it successfully in a few countries. Their website says you can get a card by visiting a Post Office it also says "Please remember to take a valid passport, UK driving licence or a valid EEA card in order to obtain your card, and you can take it away the same day." The card supports many currencies including Norwegian Krone. I normally add money to my card before going away.

• Like 1

Have they checked any existing cards (Credit and Debit) on the MoneySavingExpert website to see what the charges would be?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

If they only plan to spend relatively small amounts when ashore, then using the "best" of their existing cards may not cost a fortune and would save them having to sort out a Travel card at short notice.

• Like 1

I was in Norway a couple of weeks ago on Balmoral. Sorry, I can't remember the rate given onboard. I have also just had a look through all the daily programmes in case it was mentioned.

Going on our experience - a lot of places were only taking cashless payments, contactless is accepted everywhere. In fact I walked past a bank which had a sign saying that they didn't deal with foreign exchange or any money!

I think at this stage using their current credit card always paying in kroner would be best, fees probably not more than using exchange on board or somewhere in port.

Computer room - I don't remember seeing a computer room on any of the ships for a long time. I think most people have some kind of personal device that can get wifi in port (the ship charges are ridiculous!)

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, RC9786 said:

My parents are going away this week with Fred Olsen on a cruise to Norway. They didn't get round to get a card that would allow them to make fee-free withdrawls while abroad/fee-free chip and pin transactions so they are mainly thinking about getting cash or cash loaded onto a pre-paid card. Basically, the question we want to know the answer to is, where would the best place be to get Norwegian Krone. We know that there is an onboard bureau de change service but the exchange rate you would get is not listed (just says that it is competitive). We have seen Eurochange doing a rate of 12.729 for Kroner but will it make much difference if they just buy some on board, I would have thought that it wouldn't be that competitive with it being a bit of a captive market. Has anyone sailed with them recently and could let us know what the exchange rates are like on board.

P.S. Do they still have computer rooms on board?

We went to Norway a few years ago with FO. At that time they had a special deal for specific currencies of which Norwegian Krone was one whereby they bought back any surplus currency at the same rate you bought it at.

suggest you search to see if that’s still the case.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just got round to saying thank you for all your advice I did pass it on. In the end they got a post office card and a chase card but they didn't even need all the money on the post office card! They had a nice time except perhaps when the electric cut out in the kitchen!