Ketchikan - Tongass National Forest question

sueasselstine

The Tongass National Forest is massive in size.  In fact, I think it may be the largest national forest in the US.  In any event it essentially surrounds Ketchikan and a number of other communities.  Consider contacting the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (which is an Alaska Public Lands Information Center) for hiking ideas.  They can tell you if Perseverance Lake Trail is a possibility.

And don't dismiss the idea of a guided tour.  Alaska wilderness is very unforgiving.  As I type this the Fairbanks Detachment of the Alaska State Troopers and other agencies are searching for a pair of out of state tourists who didn't check in on time with relatives.  Relatives called the AST to report them missing.  Their TURO rental was found in the parking lot of the Chena Hot Springs Resort.  No foul play is suspected, but they seem to have become lost on one of the trails around the resort.  It has been days now and the outcome is looking more grim by the day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Tongass National Forest is massive in size.  In fact, I think it may be the largest national forest in the US.  In any event it essentially surrounds Ketchikan and a number of other communities.  Consider contacting the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (which is an Alaska Public Lands Information Center) for hiking ideas.  They can tell you if Perseverance Lake Trail is a possibility.

And don't dismiss the idea of a guided tour.  Alaska wilderness is very unforgiving.  As I type this the Fairbanks Detachment of the Alaska State Troopers and other agencies are searching for a pair of out of state tourists who didn't check in on time with relatives.  Relatives called the AST to report them missing.  Their TURO rental was found in the parking lot of the Chena Hot Springs Resort.  No foul play is suspected, but they seem to have become lost on one of the trails around the resort.  It has been days now and the outcome is looking more grim by the day.

Oh man!!! I hope they're found!! Thanks so much for the advice, maybe I'll look at some guided tours afterall!