Scenic Mekong river cruise.

markperth

Thanks!  I have to admit, I was taken aback, at first, when you mentioned wearing thongs to the dining room. (Not a pretty picture!) Then, I realized that the Aussie meaning for the word is way different (and covers - or not! - a very different part of the body) than American usage. Definitely, the thought was worth a chuckle. 
We are going with some friends and one of them is really concerned about the heat. How was it this time of year?

🤣🤣 sorry about the mental picture, I just cannot use the the term flip flops. 😩.

March seems to be a good month to go, humidity relatively low and the temp lower that time of year. But it will be hot. Just wear light weight clothes when going out, and make sure you take water with you, then go straight to the pool when back on board. 🍺 😁.

men don’t need long pants if going to temples. As long as shorts reach the knees. Women need to at least cover the knees and shoulders, but not arms. The tour directors will advise if what your are wearing is not appropriate, however we did not see any be challenged about the dress code at any temple.

1 hour ago, markperth said:

...men don’t need long pants if going to temples. As long as shorts reach the knees. Women need to at least cover the knees and shoulders, but not arms. The tour directors will advise if what your are wearing is not appropriate, however we did not see any be challenged about the dress code at any temple.

We were told that sleeveless tops were not allowed - your entire shoulder must be covered.  It was a bit of a challenge as I brought many sleeveless tops.  At least the laundry was free, so I could keep washing & re-wearing the same clothes as needed. 

It was very hot when we went...  It was cooler when we were in Hanoi, but once we hit Ho Chi Minh city the heat was over the top --> 35C or above every day.   But - this is the norm.  It would have been nice to be able to wear sleeveless tops a bit more often, but not possible with the number of temples we visited. 

Fran  

Thank you both. I will plan my wardrobe accordingly. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a lightweight mid-calf dress or two. 
Next question: was Scenic helpful with Vietnam visas, or are we on our own?
I will back with more questions as the time gets closer, I’m sure. 

If you are embarking in Vietnam, you will need to arrange your own visa on line. Relatively easy process. They will arrange your Cambodian visa on board.

but if you are starting in Cambodia you will need to arrange both before hand, that’s what I have been told previously.

55 minutes ago, worcestergal said:

Yes, we fly to Hanoi first, then we have a flight to Siem Reap. Then, we re-enter Vietnam on the cruise.  I will check with Scenic about whether we need to get a Cambodian one, since we are flying in. I figure that we will need two single entry visas for Vietnam. 

When I did that route with Ama, I got my own multi-entry visa for Vietnam, since I flew into Hanoi, and then we reentered on the river. When we flew to Siem Reap as a group, our leader looked after getting all of us our Cambodian visas. We needed a picture and (if I remember correctly) US$30 in cash. (I think Canadians are still able to get multi-entry visa for Vietnam; I think I have read that Americans can’t get them.)

3 hours ago, worcestergal said:

Yes, we fly to Hanoi first, then we have a flight to Siem Reap. Then, we re-enter Vietnam on the cruise.  I will check with Scenic about whether we need to get a Cambodian one, since we are flying in. I figure that we will need two single entry visas for Vietnam. 

You can get an e-visa for Cambodia if you are flying in. Your point of entry will be the airport.  You cannot use an e-visa to enter the country if you enter on the river... but the company usually arranges that on board and charges it to your shipboard account.

And, you will likely need two single entry visas for Vietnam.  

Fran