southampton - looking for local input/validation of short visit plan

15 hours ago, Kenhel said:

Thanks John for all that information.  We love anything nautical or yachting so for a more leisurely day, it looks like we will skip the bus rides and the tour of Osborne house.  I think enjoying Needles by boat and then meandering the streets of west Cowes is a better choice.

The only boat trips that I'm aware of from Cowes to the Needles are by RIB, or by chartering a boat at $$$$$ for a twosome.

Or there's a Needles boat trip from Lymington, on the mainland. Southampton to Lymington by train (change trains at Brockenhurst), or by the Hythe Ferry across Southampton then a 12-mile taxi ride across a corner of the New Forest 

If you're not going to include Osborne House the Red Jet fast-cat to Cowes will be the better bet - it saves 30 mins each way on the crossing, plus the bus service to Newport is quicker and much more frequent.

So you'll probably need the bus from Cowes or East Cowes to Newport and from Newport to the Needles Landmark for a boat from Alum Bay

JB 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, Crown Vic said:

Old enough to remember Wardour Street!?!

Depressingly true.. And I can sort of  claim to have had dinner with Queen's Brian May  in a Pizza Express. Well, he was there on the other side of the room, with family- Kingston on Thames branch, IIRC.