Princess Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers

Sail away MK

For my upcoming cruise, we are leaving from Whittier at 8:30 pm.  My travel summary states boarding time is 12:30 to 8pm  Can I get on the ship earlier to have lunch?  After lunch can I get off the ship to explore Whittier? OR.. Is it better to drop off the luggage (how early?) and do a bit of exploring before we get on the ship?  I'm down to the details and would appreciate any advice from those who have done this cruise.

I did this cruise back in July. How are you getting to Whittier? I agree with dropping your luggage off then going to explore before embarking on the ship. We ate lunch in Anchorage and then too the princess shuttle to the ship. Didn't bother trying to see Whittier as there isn't much there. 

I am actually renting a car in Anchorage and will spend a few days exploring the Kenai Peninsula.  We will visit Wildlife Conservation Center, Cooper Landing, Soldotna, Homer, and Seward.  On our last day we need to juggle whatever activity we want to do with timing of the tunnel. We drop off the car in Whittier (for a hefty fee) and that's where I'm stumped with timing.  We could do the quick Portage Glacier cruise before the tunnel to end the trip, or just get on board if we can do so around 11.  I have heard conflicting reports.  Some say go onboard for lunch then get off for an excursion, others say only b2b cruisers can get off the ship. 

How early has anyone gotten onboard in Whittier?

Can you get back off after lunch?

Thanks for the help.