Just off the American Serenade-Happy to answer questions

anniversary#25

Hello, not able to write review because the drop down menus don't offer the required categories, like the port we started in.  We did the upper Mississippi south bound from St. Paul, MN to St Louis.  Overall it was an awesome cruise, who knew the river would be so incredible.  Lots of eagles, pelicans and the bluffs were spectacular.  We picked a great week because the ship was only half full.  The staff were great, the rooms were nice, the ship was beautiful and the food was good too.  Average age 70-85.  Our whole group was not really the target demographic, I'm 60 but took my 90 and 93 year old parents and their 87 & 89 year old friends.  My group really enjoyed the whole trip, but are not moving the best, so didn't really get to do most of the offered excursions.  They did get off at each stop and took the local loop bus ride each day, which was enough to satisfy them.  My only negative was that it was difficult for them getting on/off the ship.  My dad uses a walker and the ramps had big steps up/down and they were sometimes very steep and narrow.  I have photos of menus, daily activities offered and my single room should anyone be interested.  

• Like 2

Thanks for your non-review. We would love to see your photos. How can we access them?

It's almost time for us to start packing for our northbound trip on the Serenade leaving St. Louis on the 21st. Wondering how many sets of clothes to bring. Does the ship offer laundry? Were the guest laundrys usually easily available?

Laundry is available on the ship, I did not check it out so not sure of availability. In terms of clothes to bring, I doubled up a few days, I put on a casual dress each day and never changed, just added a sweater when it was cool. It’s a very causal vibe which I loved. 

IMG_4255.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4182.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your review! I enjoyed your pictures! Can I ask you if you saw anyone disembarking at cruise ports in a wheelchair and was the staff willing to help? I was on the Columbia Snake River cruise in July and you’re right some of the ramps are pretty small and steep but the young crew went above and beyond to assist me and my husband get on and off the ship using my transport wheelchair.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Dear Anniversary #25 Thanks for your review.  We are taking this trip next August 20th.  First time on American Cruise Line.  Previously chose American Queen Voyages, but they have gone out of business cancelling all future cruises. Appreciate your candor about getting on/off at the ports and stair climbing is an issue for my husband.  I was told they had a golf cart to assist.  Are you aware of this?  We are both in our early 80's so not running around too much for excursions.  Hop On/Hop Off bus will be just fine for us.  This trip is Anniversary #60 for us.  Will look at the pictures of the menu and activities.  If a challenge, I will leave husband on board and go off by myself.  I am certain that other guests will be friendly.

21 minutes ago, Woodholme Cruiser said:

I was told they had a golf cart to assist.  Are you aware of this?

My recollection (over almost 20 ACL cruises):  There was a golf cart available on every ship at every port.  They got a lot of use -- when not ferrying passengers, the crew used them to transport goods arriving at the ship. 

My husband and I will be on the Serenade in April 2024- doing the Lower Mississippi. We're traveling with 4 other couples. Did you see any problems you wish to pass on? What is the dress code on the ship? Is there any entertainment on the ship?

Pat