Vista Satellite internet issue

Dwtlion

14 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

Yep, that can be a problem. I can't call my brother on WhatsApp, but I can call my daughter. Plus, I can send her a video easily. And I was told by someone who knows about this stuff that WhatsApp has better encryption than most (although that might not be really important, it's still nice to know). But WiFi calling seem to have more impediments, for some reason. Anyway, I'm glad I was talked into getting the app even though I don't use it very much.

One last thought...

"If it's free and on the internet, you are what's being sold."  Take a lesson from GMail and how they mine your emails to target ads.  I don't know that Facebook is actually snooping, but encryption does not protect against the folks supplying the encryption and Facebook does not have a reputation for doing anything that doesn't provide a revenue stream.

As long time (about 50 years) international cruisers and travelers, we are used to the issue expressed by the OP.  It is not just limited to cruise ships, but will often happen while in any foreign land.  Using a VPN (not always possible on cruise ships) does help, if one knows how to set it up to use a server in a specific country (i.e. USA).

Otherwise, not much you can do about sites that are blocked (sometimes for copywrite issues).  But sites that may display in a foreign langauge (such as ESPN displaying in Spanish) can often be set to English via a language feature sometimes found along the top of the screen, and other times found by carefully looking at the options on the bottom.  It can be tricky since the options will also display in the same foreign languge.  If there is a menu, the two letter designation for English is often "EN."  Some sites (such as ESPN) will also have nation options so, for example, you can get English for their european feed, or you can usually get English for their USA site.

Since each site does their own thing, this does become a pain.  But that is the life when in foreign lands.  

Hank