Shifts/Rotations for Landings on Seabourn Venture

EricTheZed

Hi all,

I have a few questions for anyone who's done an Antarctic cruise aboard the Seabourn Venture. I recently booked a Peninsula cruise on the Venture for this upcoming season, but I'm a little concerned about the size of the ship (approx. 260 pax capacity) because of the 100-person limit at landing sites. Before booking I called Seabourn to inquire, who said that there would be 2 shifts/rotations per landing site rather than 3 (similar to vessels with <= 200 passengers). They mentioned that this was because some of the passengers would be traveling solo, some would be kayaking, and some would prefer to remain on the ship. I was wondering if anyone here has experience cruising Antarctica with the Venture (or another similar-sized vessel) and can confirm whether this is the case?

Also, a related question: Assuming 2 landing sites per day weather-permitting (plz correct me if I'm wrong), how would it work regarding the groups? Would each group get to land at just one of those sites and spend the full time there, or would they rotate and spend half the time at each landing site?

Lastly, I was told that during landings, any passengers that are not ashore (e.g., due to limits) would be able to go on zodiac cruises. For those that have done both, I was curious as to how the experience compares. Is there a strong preference for one over the other, or are they similarly rewarding?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 hours ago, EricTheZed said:

Hi all,

I have a few questions for anyone who's done an Antarctic cruise aboard the Seabourn Venture. I recently booked a Peninsula cruise on the Venture for this upcoming season, but I'm a little concerned about the size of the ship (approx. 260 pax capacity) because of the 100-person limit at landing sites. Before booking I called Seabourn to inquire, who said that there would be 2 shifts/rotations per landing site rather than 3 (similar to vessels with <= 200 passengers). They mentioned that this was because some of the passengers would be traveling solo, some would be kayaking, and some would prefer to remain on the ship. I was wondering if anyone here has experience cruising Antarctica with the Venture (or another similar-sized vessel) and can confirm whether this is the case?

Also, a related question: Assuming 2 landing sites per day weather-permitting (plz correct me if I'm wrong), how would it work regarding the groups? Would each group get to land at just one of those sites and spend the full time there, or would they rotate and spend half the time at each landing site?

Lastly, I was told that during landings, any passengers that are not ashore (e.g., due to limits) would be able to go on zodiac cruises. For those that have done both, I was curious as to how the experience compares. Is there a strong preference for one over the other, or are they similarly rewarding?

Thanks in advance for your help!

When we were on the Venture in Antarctica, we were assigned 1 of 6 colors, with 2 - 3 landings per day.  It is good to attend the evening briefings because they will let you know the time, approximately, that your color will be called the next day.  The colors are rotated each day so that the same color isn't called at 7AM each day.  You are asked to return to the zodiacs by a certain time, so other people can go ashore.  After the first landing, the zodiacs are continually going back and forth bringing in passengers and taking passengers back to the ship.  We found the time allotted ashore was plenty.  One day my husband took a guided long hike, but they were accounted for and it didn't cause any problems.  Also, they will fill up a zodiac going ashore with the next color group if there is room.  I would advise hanging out in the expedition lounge with all your gear when they call the color group prior to yours.  That way you can get on if there is room.  Some people do not want to go ashore, and if I remember correctly, they usually had one that just toodled around.  That would probably be up to the expedition leader and if there is an available zodiac.  

Sometimes, the seas would get too rough and they would have to stop zodiacs or ask those ashore to return to the ship.  If a color group got shut out, for whatever reason, they would be the first to go the next day.  I never remember anyone being disappointed that they didn't get ashore.  The only complaints I heard was getting shut out of sub and kayak tours (they are VERY concerned safety and those are much more likely to be cancelled.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Wow, thanks so much for your comments jjs217, that was super helpful 🙂 I definitely want to maximize my time on shore, so I'll take your advice and hang out in the lounge when they call the group before just in case there's any extra room. Do you know about how long it usually took for them to load everyone onto the zodiacs? Also, around how much time did your group get to spend on shore during each landing? How was your experience on the zodiac cruises? Any other useful info or tips you might be able to offer would be much appreciated 🙂 

Edited by EricTheZed

6 hours ago, EricTheZed said:

I'll take your advice and hang out in the lounge when they call the group before just in case there's any extra room.

Keep in mind you will be all bundled up for going ashore: base layer, mid layer, waterproof pants, boots, parka, hat, gloves, etc., plus life vest, so you may not  want to be all geared up for too long before you get off the ship. 

Generally there's two main groupings for a landing, with three sub-groups within each main group. So it might be 7:00, 7:10 and 7:20, and then 8:30, 8:40 and 8:50. You won't feel shortchanged if you go when your group is called. also keep in mind that sometimes conditions benefit the early groups, sometimes conditions benefit the later groups, and there's just no way to know in advance.

Zodiac loading generally goes pretty quickly — 2 minutes per zodiac — but wind can cause the sea surface to be choppy and slow things down a little.

There are generally two "landings" per day, if the weather permits. One of those "landings" may be a zodiac cruise rather than going on land, depending on where you are and what the conditions are. But everyone gets to participate in both landings. Usually there's a morning landing, in two main groups, then everyone's back on the ship for mid-day and lunch while the ship moves to another location, and then there's an afternoon landing. But timing is always fluid, as is where you'll land, or whether you'll land or tour via zodiac, depending on weather conditions. On our trip this past winter, the expedition leader and captain swapped more than half our planned landing locations for ones they thought would be better. there's a central booking database so different ships aren't in the same spot at the same time, and things are always changing.

In short, I'd say not to overthink this. 😉 Go to the evening briefing so you know what's planed, stay alert for announcements when things inevitably change, and just go where and when they tell you to go! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks to you both for your helpful responses and advice! Sounds like you had a fantastic experience, and I'm looking forward to my first Antarctica cruise. Just one more question if you don't mind: While the first group goes ashore, what does the other group generally do, e.g., do they go out on a zodiac cruise (and then swap) or just hang out on the ship until they return? Also, how did your experience compare between the shore landings and the zodiac cruises? Were both equally enjoyable, or did you generally prefer one over the other?

While one group is ashore, the other group just does what one does on a cruise - be lazy, eat, read, watch lectures on the TV, nap - that kind of thing.  I enjoyed both the zodiac tours and the landings.  My husband and I are hikers, so we really enjoyed walking/hiking once on shore.  They have naturalists posted all along the hiking route (you are not free to go off where ever you please, you must stay within posted routes) which usually ends at a large nesting colony.  I never really felt short changed when going ashore, and was ready to return to the ship (and I'm used to hiking) - and have some Irish Coffee or spiked hot chocolate.  It can be tiring trudging through snow, and dealing with all the bundled layers of clothing, etc.  

The zodiac tours were great because then you got up close and personal with whales, seals, ice bergs, and swimming penguins.  It was a nice change from going ashore.  I wouldn't skip either one, and it is usually one or the other.  Once you are on board all of this will make more sense - it's just important to go to the briefings - they are usually very entertaining, and informative.  I wouldn't skip those either.

• Thanks 2

Thanks again jjs217, sounds like a great trip! The only thing I'm a little confused and disappointed by is why they would only take one group of passengers out at a time. Since I read that they have enough zodiacs to accommodate all passengers at the same time, why not take one group out on a zodiac cruise (which I don't think counts toward the 100 pax limit?) while the other is ashore instead of having them wait on the ship? Sounds like a bit of wasted opportunity...

Edited by EricTheZed

@EricTheZed Most people wouldn't want to be out in the elements for 3+ hours at a time, as you're seeking. And the expedition staff would likely be spread too thin to be juggling everyone off the ship at the same time. They're not just driving the zodiacs, but securing the beach for landings, sometimes shoveling steps off the beach, putting out flags to mark the walking trails, and helping anyone who may need help or have questions while hike ashore.

Additionally, you need time to recharge. Believe me, if the first group is off the ship at 7 am and you're in the second group, you'll be happy to be able to sleep a little later and have breakfast before suiting up and heading out. After hiking ashore you may come back wet from rain or the spray on the zodiacs, or feel sweaty from your hiking if the weather is ideal; you'll appreciate having a little down time to change your clothes and reset before going out again. 

From everything I've read, all the expedition ships (except the really small ones) from all the cruise companies  use basically the same format of two rotations in the morning and two rotations in the afternoon. You've already worked yourself into being disappointed long before you go; my advice is to relax about it, and just go with the program. Every positive comment you've read here or elsewhere is from people who have gone to Antarctica under the same system. 😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EricTheZed said:

Ah, that makes perfect sense @cruiseej. Thanks again for your advice and for injecting a healthy dose of realism into my expectations 🙂 

You will have a wonderful time (and I was on the crazy, messed up Holiday Venture Cruise in Dec 22 - but that is a long story.)  In fact, it is not a once in a life time adventure - as we are going back this coming January.  I will never forget crossing the Drake and then seeing the white continent for the first time on a beautiful, but cold, late afternoon sunny day, and whales jumping and everything sparkling, and a cocktail in my hand - ahhhhh - I can't wait to go back.

• Like 1