Booked our first Viking Ocean Cruise

californiagirl

On 10/29/2023 at 6:11 AM, island lady said:

Yes, that was what I was stating when I called the ones on deck #1 "Duck Cabins".  I described them in detail.  

There are also the ones I mentioned that are "French Balconies".  We had one of those in our bedroom area...and a full walk out veranda in the living room section.  The French Balconies are simply sliders and a rail.  Cannot walk out of the room on an actual balcony, but it is nice to open to the fresh air with that large opening.  You see a lot of them in France, Spain..etc. at the hotels.  

Expedition ships have them, but they slide up and down..not side to side like the river ships. 

I think some get confused by the terminology Viking uses compared to other cruise lines.

No "inside cabins" on the river boats.  The "below the waterline" standard rooms have the small picture window, similar to "ocean view" cabins on most ocean ships except viking.  Viking only has "balcony" rooms on their ocean ships.

We actually prefer the "below the waterline" rooms on the river boats. First of all, they cost a lot less, and it is literally one flight of stairs up to the main deck.   River boats are often docked together...and I feel the "below the waterline" rooms are more private overall.

Edited by farmecologist
  • Like 2