7 night Alaska Cruise followed by DIY 11 to 14 day Land Late Aug/Early Sept 2024

NWA395

Looking for feedback on what I don't know and suggestions.  This will be a 40th wedding anniversary trip for my wife and I.  We are both in our 60's and there are some mobility issues which will prevent longer hikes, glacier walks etc.  Easy hikes of 1.5 miles RT and semi flat are likely doable.   We have a couple of options which I will discuss at the end.  The lodging goal for Alaska is to keep lodging under $200.00 per night utilizing Air B&B's and military lodging as practical.  This may be a challenge as it pertains to Vancouver.  We chose an inside room on the cruise to apply the saved $$ toward our land portion.  We are flying in to YVR two days early as we enjoyed the city last year when we visited.  

8/15 - Vancouver, Fly in to YVR - Last year we stayed at Blue Horizon for two nights and enjoyed it but may look for something along the lines of the YMCA to save overall trip cost

8/16 - Vancouver, sightsee, etc.

8/17 - Embark Sapphire Princess.  We did an 11 night cruise on the Sapphire Princess in April/May 2023 and really enjoyed it.  Very familiar with the ports so I will leave this out of the equation with the exception of Juneau.  

8/20 - Juneau from 0800 to 2100.  We are looking for feedback on the Taku Lodge and Flight excursion and would welcome further input.

8/24- Whittier, disembark in the morning.  Transfer method to Anchorage is undecided at this point (i.e. ship transfer, private etc) but would like to be in Anchorage by noon.  Pick up rental car from Enterprise downtown (car is reserved and have auto slash following).  Make a grocery run to one of the big box stores and then drive toward Glacier View.  Overnight Glacier View Tundra Rose Cottages. Head toward Valdez the next morning.

8/25 - Depart Glacier View for GlennAllen and Valdez.  Stop in GlennAllen for flight seeing trip with Copper Valley Air of the Wrangell - St. Elias NF.  Stop at Copper River area and Wrangell - St. Elias NF HQ.  Short hikes, visitor center etc.  and continue to Valdez stopping for photos and sightseeing as the mood strikes. Overnight Valdez at an Air B&B

8/26 - Valdez, Salmon Gulch Hatchery, bear viewing, Stan Stephens Glacier/Wildlife cruise, glacier lake depending on weather and mood. Overnight Valdez at Air B&B

8/27 - Depart Valdez for the Long drive (360 plus miles) to Fairbanks stopping at our leisure for photos, lunch etc..  We are figuring 8 to 10 hours with stops, unknown traffic/road construction etc. If time allows we will visit Pioneer Park for supper.  Overnight Holiday Inn Express on Ft. Wainwright.  

8/28 - Fairbanks, UoF museum, Gold panning/Stern wheel tour, auto museum and  Chena Hot springs or substitute for whatever else floats our boat.  Overnight Holiday Inn express.

8/29 - Drive to Denali.  Visitor center, drive the rental out to mile 15(?) turnaround, visit the dogs.  Dinner and overnight in Healy, Lodging TBD.

8/30 - Denali bus and park, overnight Healy

8/31- Drive to Palmer, visit Independence mines at Hatcher Pass and leisure the remainder of the day. Overnight air B&B.

9/1 - Drive to Seward, Sealife Center, possible short Exit Glacier hike or 1/2 day Kenai Fjords tour.  Overnight Seward Military Resort

9/2 - Fishing, overnight Seward

9/3 - Drive to Soldotna, Talon Air Bear Viewing, overnight Soldotna

9/4 - We are undecided at this point and have three options

(1) Drive back to Anchorage to return rental and fly home

(2)  Extend trip for a few more days and head to Homer; or

(3)  Book a Southbound cruise back to YVR.  

We are trying to keep BIG drive days to a minimum and we want the freedom to stop where and when we want.  I know the Valdez to Fairbanks leg is a lot of driving but figured a counter-clockwise loop would keep the backtracking to a minimum. 

I welcome feedback from those who hit AK by land and any other information you may deem appropriate.

48 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

1) Book a return cruise to Vancouver.  You will have earned it.

2) We loved the Taku Glacier flight with lunch.  Pricey but worth it.

Thank you for the feedback on the Taku glacier flight.  Our original plan was a 7 day northbound followed by 7 days land on our own and a 7 day southbound.  It has now morphed to 7 day NB and 11 night land.....  I'm not sure where this one will end.

• Like 1