ACCESSIBLE BALCONY CABINS - AURORA v SAGA

TigerB

@Selbourne, I have had an answer from SAGA about the transport.

I had my pre-registration call this morning; long story short, we haven't booked anything for the season that has just come out.

Anyway, I asked loads of questions about the transport...

- The upper threshold, increased to 300 miles for 2024, will remain that distance.  

- If our lass wished to stay in her wheelchair, we would be guaranteed a WAV; that would be sub-contracted to one of the companies they use with such vehicles.  Due to the limitations of such a vehicle for carrying extra passengers and luggage as well as a wheelchair, it would be for our sole use, and we would not be charged any extra.

- The shared service usually uses a mini-van, she said.  She then said they have VW Caravelles.  I didn't think they made those anymore, but they are essentially a Transporter; we used one of those at work and I know for certain that our lass could not be able to step into one.  So, that is a no-no for that mode of transport for us.  Mind you, I've dipped into the live blog of NorbertsNiece on the SAGA boards, and she had a car as a shared vehicle.

- I said that my wife's wheelchair folds, and she could transfer to a car, but it would have to be a large saloon or estate car.  She said that could be requested, but not guaranteed.  She went on to say that if it was a car rather than a van, although strictly speaking we could be sharing, because we will have a folded wheelchair as well as luggage, we would almost certainly have the vehicle for our sole use, and we would not be charged any extra.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TigerB said:

@Selbourne, I have had an answer from SAGA about the transport.

I had my pre-registration call this morning; long story short, we haven't booked anything for the season that has just come out.

Anyway, I asked loads of questions about the transport...

- The upper threshold, increased to 300 miles for 2024, will remain that distance.  

- If our lass wished to stay in her wheelchair, we would be guaranteed a WAV; that would be sub-contracted to one of the companies they use with such vehicles.  Due to the limitations of such a vehicle for carrying extra passengers and luggage as well as a wheelchair, it would be for our sole use, and we would not be charged any extra.

- The shared service usually uses a mini-van, she said.  She then said they have VW Caravelles.  I didn't think they made those anymore, but they are essentially a Transporter; we used one of those at work and I know for certain that our lass could not be able to step into one.  So, that is a no-no for that mode of transport for us.  Mind you, I've dipped into the live blog of NorbertsNiece on the SAGA boards, and she had a car as a shared vehicle.

- I said that my wife's wheelchair folds, and she could transfer to a car, but it would have to be a large saloon or estate car.  She said that could be requested, but not guaranteed.  She went on to say that if it was a car rather than a van, although strictly speaking we could be sharing, because we will have a folded wheelchair as well as luggage, we would almost certainly have the vehicle for our sole use, and we would not be charged any extra.

Useful info. Thanks. Had my call today from Saga as well. Only asked about the Northern Lights cruise. They had an accessible balcony cabin but it was £8,528 for 16 nights, and that was after the maximum 35% discount and a further £170 discount as we wouldn’t need their insurance. I just think that’s ludicrous. Also, the Saga itinerary isn’t as good for seeing the Northern Lights as the P&O ones, as they only do one night in port. 

I told the lady that I’d booked a cruise with Cunard in Britannia Club for half that price per night! Even allowing for gratuities and what we’d spend on drinks, Saga is still coming out way more. And it’s 3 times per night what we are paying with P&O. I’m cooling on Saga. I’ve asked them to refund the pre reg fee and we are still on pre reg for Summer 2025, but if nothing works out there I think we might call it quits. Might revisit them once we’ve done a couple of Cunard cruises in Britannia Club if that doesn’t live up to expectations. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Useful info. Thanks. Had my call today from Saga as well. Only asked about the Northern Lights cruise. They had an accessible balcony cabin but it was £8,528 for 16 nights, and that was after the maximum 35% discount and a further £170 discount as we wouldn’t need their insurance. I just think that’s ludicrous. Also, the Saga itinerary isn’t as good for seeing the Northern Lights as the P&O ones, as they only do one night in port. 

I told the lady that I’d booked a cruise with Cunard in Britannia Club for half that price per night! Even allowing for gratuities and what we’d spend on drinks, Saga is still coming out way more. And it’s 3 times per night what we are paying with P&O. I’m cooling on Saga. I’ve asked them to refund the pre reg fee and we are still on pre reg for Summer 2025, but if nothing works out there I think we might call it quits. Might revisit them once we’ve done a couple of Cunard cruises in Britannia Club if that doesn’t live up to expectations. 

That's exactly the same cruise I spoke with her about; same price as you with the full discount, and we wouldn't have their insurance either.  We had pretty much decided we wasn't going to book before the call, but was interested in the prices. 

I was surprised, given the age demographic for their cruises, that they only have six accessible cabins, and only two of those are standard grade. 

I've reassigned our registration fee to early 2028, when it's my 60th; I could maybe justify the expense then.

I mentioned about maybe looking at a round trip Caribbean cruise with P&O; "Oh, we have one on our list".  A 45 day one, Caribbean and Central America. For a laugh, I asked her to give me prices.

Standard (J): £13252pp (30% discount)

Deluxe (C): £20434pp (35% discount)

I told our lass the prices, and what you were paying for yours.  I won't repeat what she said as some children may read this!🤭

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

That's exactly the same cruise I spoke with her about; same price as you with the full discount, and we wouldn't have their insurance either.  We had pretty much decided we wasn't going to book before the call, but was interested in the prices. 

I was surprised, given the age demographic for their cruises, that they only have six accessible cabins, and only two of those are standard grade. 

I've reassigned our registration fee to early 2028, when it's my 60th; I could maybe justify the expense then.

I mentioned about maybe looking at a round trip Caribbean cruise with P&O; "Oh, we have one on our list".  A 45 day one, Caribbean and Central America. For a laugh, I asked her to give me prices.

Standard (J): £13252pp (30% discount)

Deluxe (C): £20434pp (35% discount)

I told our lass the prices, and what you were paying for yours.  I won't repeat what she said as some children may read this!🤭

Yes, when relaying the conversation to my wife I said that we were getting 65 nights in the Caribbean with P&O for less than £3k more than 16 nights in Norway would be with Saga. OK, we’d get some benefit from the included drinks (me more than my wife) and I’ve no doubt that the ship and food would be a step up, but…..