Do you take your passport ?

liz4949

Which of the following do you think is most likely? 

Over which of the following do you have more control?  

1.  Being the victim of a pickpocket while you're ashore ... or losing your passport.  If you think this is more likely, leave the passport on the ship.  

2.  Missing the ship's sail-away time.  If you think this is more likely, bring the passport along with you.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Sometimes you have port calls where a passport is required - that will be posted in the ship's newsletter. This also changes with time.

As an example in 2017 my passport acquired stamps from the UK border force, arriving and leaving LeHavre on a shore excursion, and again in Brooklyn when disembarking. Passport stamps were a bottleneck in LeHavre as there was only one port official stamping passports.

In 2019 all the 'stamps' were electronic - and no one at LeHavre was interested in passports, the ship's card was sufficient when arriving with the folks from a tour.

Not only do some ports require it but also some excursions. In Alaska some excursions go to Canada and you need your passport. Ofcourse the people who were late getting to the bus were the ones who had to run back to the ship because they didn’t bring their passports.

Italy I believe requires passports be carried at all times.

i always carry my passport in a secure place. I am very aware of pickpockets and anyone being in my personal space. Don’t have your passport sticking out or in an easy to access spot. Honestly it takes me a minute or two to reach where I store my passport which is in a zippered pocket against my body, under a bunch of stuff, deep in the bottom, in a snapped pocket, and the entire bag I usually wear under my arm with my arm leaning on it. My passport is as safe as can be there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

Not only do some ports require it but also some excursions. In Alaska some excursions go to Canada and you need your passport. Of course the people who were late getting to the bus were the ones who had to run back to the ship because they didn’t bring their passports.

Wasn't this a land crossing between Alaska and Canada? If so, then the passport card in my wallet would work just fine for this expedition while my passport lives in the ship safe. 

3 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

Wasn't this a land crossing between Alaska and Canada? If so, then the passport card in my wallet would work just fine for this expedition while my passport lives in the ship safe. 

Yes so you’re right. We don’t have those in Canada so a passport is a passport. Either way the couple in question brought neither even with repeated reminders on the ship if you were on a tour going to Canada.