Suggestions for Haines

gwhizma

The Eagle Preserve is always a big hit. Try the float trip. Sea Kayaking is also very nice there, as well as the mountain biking.

Have a drink in the Pioneer Bar or a very good Pizza at the Fireweed.

Not as many shops as other ports, but you'll probably be the only ship there, as they aren't as cruiseship crazy as other towns.

Enjoy.

I like these guys. 'Course, i used to work for them.

http://www.chilkatguides.com/

Unlike other companies who've just recently set up shop in Haines, Chilkat Guides have been there for a very long time, and is a local company. Their guide training is beyond compare and the depth of knowledge is amazing.

As for kayaks in Haines, i think there's still just one company.

Do think there is any chance of seeing bears or are we too early in the season. Somehow on this trip I am determined to see some bears. Trying to avoid the $400+ per person to see them.

You are definately too early out of Haines. On the Chilkoot River, it's Sept. And you need to park yourself for an extended amount of time at the location. You need a car in my opinion. I did have one bear sighting here about the second week of Sept, after looking all day, then just before I was to leave, a nice brown showed up. :)

The DH and I had been to Skagway previously and took the ferry over to Haines. It was a beautiful crisp day and we spent it walking around and exploring on our own. There is an interesting old Army Fort from WWII vintage, also a man who restores vintage autos...has quite a collection and several places downtown with great icecream. You can always drop in the Chamber of Commerce and visit with Lori who will point you to interesting sites. There is a great local museum with a local historian who can spin a yarn with the best of them. The exhibits are the genuine article and tell a great history. There were no ships in Hanes that day and it turned out to be a highlight...no tourist except us........The ferry ride is beautiful.

Archived