HAL Mediterranean ports question

dixieagle

We'll be doing our first HAL and first Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam, 5/31/06. We are pretty independent types who enjoy exploring by foot, at our own pace. We'll likely do a planned excursion or two (Kusadasi/Ephesus) but are wondering how close to the must-see places in each port we will be when we get off the ship. (BTW - will tenders often be used?) Given my preference, I'd just get off the ship and walk around at my own pace, moseying here and there. Is that possible, or are the interesting places too far from the ports? Thanks.

Hello there -

I'd recommend you visit the Ports of Call board and look at the some of the information presented in the ports you're visiting. It was very helpful to me in our upcoming cruise to Alaska.

Have fun!! I'd love to do that same trip assuming I enjoy our first cruise this summer.

We'll be doing our first HAL and first Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam, 5/31/06. We are pretty independent types who enjoy exploring by foot, at our own pace. We'll likely do a planned excursion or two (Kusadasi/Ephesus) but are wondering how close to the must-see places in each port we will be when we get off the ship. (BTW - will tenders often be used?) Given my preference, I'd just get off the ship and walk around at my own pace, moseying here and there. Is that possible, or are the interesting places too far from the ports? Thanks.

DixieEagle; great itinerary! Dubrovnik, Katakolon, Kusadasi and Valetta are all ports where you'll be docked. You'll be tendering at Santorini and, I'm thinking Corfu. Can't say that for sure though about Corfu (and same for Messina) 'cause we've never been there. Hopefully someone else that has can! You can most definitely explore on your own in Dubrovnik, in Valetta (need a taxi or shuttle for both to get there from the port) and in Kusadasi (walking distance from the ship). In Kusadasi, I highly recommend going to Ephesus though, you won't regret it! Dubrovnik is probably the easiest out of those three to explore on foot because the old part is relatively small and easy to reach on foot. Grab a cup of coffee (or similar) one one of the terraces within the walled city and take in the atmosphere! In Valetta, go see the outstanding St. John's Co-Cathedral, with it's amazing interior. Santorini is also real nice for exploring; just be aware that there are lots of steps and climbing! In Katakolon, it depends on what you want to do. The port city itself is pretty quaint and you can do some shopping in small stores and/or visit small local restaurants but that's pretty much it. However, if you want to see the birthplace of the Olympics, Olympia, you will need transportation there. Whatever you decide to do, have an awesome time!:)

We also loved Ephesus, and a fascinating tour guide. Lucky choice!

Olympia is a must!! The Captain was on our tour, and he said, "Don't worry. The ship won't leave without us." It has a very good museum, as well.

Santorini? Stay on the ship, if you ask me.:)

Lane

• 4 weeks later...

In Messina, you dock right in the city. There is a beautiful church with its wonderfull clock tower just a block away. The Post Office is just accross from it. If anyone is going to Toramina PLEASE look me up as I need moore wine stoppers! The trip there is worth it as the city and its views are great. If you are interested in buying the Lemoncello don't forget there are 2 very different ones. The clear is 40 something alcohol whereas the cream version is on half that and mild. It's like drinking a milk shake, but kicks you after it's down.

Malta is also a docking port. However, it is a long uphill walk to the city. It's a killer to walk, but we always do it and there are a few interesting places along the way. Like the shipwreck church built from..a ship that was wrecked! The have a great exhibit regarding the history of Matla and the Knights; it is located just behind the big open cafe in the center of the square up a block from the actual museum. The bus system around the island is good and simple; one line goes east, the other west. We have used this and it is fine. The cost for the day was 50cents US, but you do need Maltise Liras. Just watch your timing.

Until next time.....Bonnie & Bob from Boston

Archived