The craziness of travelling solo

Irish clare

Morning, 

I have just discovered cruising and am making up for lost time 🙂 ( 3 done 3 more booked ) 

As i travel on my own i accept grudging that i have to pay crazy single supplement - with the new E class ships they have single staterooms but they go fast - but if you are lucky to get them you are not paying the single supplement .. or so i thought 

I was looking at the new Xcel ship for Christmas 2025 - if i book an inside cabin i am paying €2912 or i can get a prime veranda for €3827 

but they have the availability of the single stateroom with a veranda for €5348 .... - these are cruise only prices 

My TA rang Celebrity assuming it was a website glich but no .. that is the price they are charging 

can anyone explain this to me ?????

Sounds like the Prime veranda the way to go. A true cabin for 2 is often more cost effective than the Solo cabins…apparently a lot more people are traveling solo and the cruise lines think they will just grab those cabins, not looking at costs for doubles. 

• Like 3

You can get some good deals on the Edge class solo cabins but so far I've found that is the exception rather than the norm. I'm also a new solo cruiser and most of the time (7/9) I've opted for regular balcony staterooms with a group rate discount from my TA or a last minute deal from Celebrity.

• Like 2

I’m in solo, too.  I always go through every possible scenario in a mock booking to find the best price on a veranda cabin, constantly checking for updated deals. I’ll be on Apex 1/6, having booked an unobstructed Edge Solo from last year’s Black Friday sale, all-inclusive for $1946.  Probably never see that price again. 

• Like 2

I was lucky to get the solo room on the Beyone this Christmas but other than that its normally a combination of inside room or with a port hole ... the price of verandas is always to expensive 

but as you said @Z'Loth we can book our holiday on a whim and do not have to check / please anyone else 

It really seems to depend on the cruise and time of booking for whatever reason.  I have a summer Caribbean cruise booked and a SS veranda was cheaper for one than the solo cabins where.  But currently SS solo is more than a solo cabin. 🤔

59 minutes ago, Z'Loth said:

I have no need to coordinate with a travel partner which does take some stress out of travel. 

"a travel partner which does take some stress " ???

My " travel partner " ?? Stress ???

LOL--- " You know who " don't give me no stress--- 

Always there to " guide " me in MY ( yea right ) decisions.

Example--- How was I to know that 3 shrimp cocktails, 2 plates of Beef Wellington followed by 2 Creme Brulé deserts  was not good for me ?

What the hell, I only ate a few vegetables and 1/2 of the mashed potatoes (I'm watching my diet ).

Another example---So, we're sitting at the pool and this beautiful , etc etc--- then a few minutes later I'm sitting by myself ---- That tells me that my eyes are workin !!

Guess who better not read this post ???

• Haha 1