Overbooking

jakers

@retird  I’m sorry my post was not clearly worded.  I should have said if you are sailing HAL on a “friends & family/interline” fare you are not guaranteed to sail in the cabin you originally booked.

My main point is that “friends & family/interline” fares are not the same as someone who has booked a guarantee cabin.  Several people seem anxious that they will be unable to sail because they booked a guarantee cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Interesting...we have never seen a "let us choose your room" for the Pinnacle suites and that is what we always book.  Of course, there are very few times when both PS suites are available for a given cruise, so that you would have a choice.  Was the price the same between the two options?  If so I'm not sure why HAL would even offer it.  Perhaps you might have the following scenario:  both PS rooms are available, the first person to book doesn't care if port or starboard so he picks a guarantee, the second person to book gets his preference of side of the ship, and the first person gets whatever PS wasn't chosen.  That is the only scenario I can see of what the purpose of a guarantee for the PS would benefit anyone.

That’s what I thought was weird because they were the same price.  After making the first one where I  thought I had chosen 7036, and when the email came I saw “guarantee”.  Of course I was doing it quickly because I didn’t want to lose the room plus it was well after happy hour started so who knows what I clicked!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, retird said:

Usually they are standby fare.  But quite usually they firm up a few days before sailing but occasionally they wait right up until day of sailing.  My nephew gets interline fares and it has happened to him 

What does interline mean please?

3 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I watch YouTube and Tony on La lida loca said that. They were guaranteed rooms

I think it's a risk you take and the responsibility you have to accept. You know there's a chance that could happen when you book guaranteed. I certainly don't wanna pay more money. I travel solo so it cost me double already but I'm afraid. I don't wanna get to the port and not have a room.

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow 123 said:

What does interline mean please?

Interline is for travel professionals who want to book as available at a deep discount. When booked, it’s understood that reservations are subject to cancellation or change into a different level cabin if there’s too many cruisers. Users are not supposed to talk about specifics. 

Over the years we’ve had a number of posters come onto CC to complain they “got bumped” or downgraded without mentioning they were interliners. That, of course, has caused anxiety in others who then think THEY too could be “bumped”. Yet, that is what they had agreed to. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, shadow 123 said:

I watch YouTube and Tony on La lida loca said that. They were guaranteed rooms

Once again, this was on Royal Caribbean.  Never watched La Lido Loco so I went to YouTube to watch the video.  I’m not sure if his information is factual; I definitely don’t think it is first hand. On 11/30, he said the RC incident happened in Melbourne.  On 12/1, he corrected himself and said it happened in Brisbane. 

• Like 1

“Travel Professionals” includes pilots, baggage handlers, gate agents, stewards / stewardesses, etc. Even people who are airport employees - Ie you are employed by Toronto Pearson ( and not a subcontractor). I dated an Air Canada gate agent for several years and fortunately - during that time - was able to take advantage of those fantastic interline rates.

• Like 1

One other nerve wracking thing about air travel using airline passes, you could be taken off the plane at any time until the doors closed. If the airline needed to accommodate those last minute passengers, or connecting passengers, passengers arriving late, etc. we frequently got bumped.