Any wristwatch aficionados been on the Ascent?

Atebir

On both my recent Ascent and Reflection sailings, they had a decent selection of used/rebuilt Rolexes. Both shops had a gold 36mm DayDate that has been on my list for awhile. Both shops were overpriced by about 8k. They did send me a bottle of bubbly and invited me back to make a deal! I'm sure what I had on my wrist at the time I walked in probably helped.

Posted (edited)

Ah…

Good to know, but the crown doesn’t really float my boat anyway. There are always a lot of folks trying them on, though…

Edited by Atebir

The most interesting watches I've seen onboard lately are the Meistersingers mentioned earlier (strange watch to have on a cruise ship; they're pretty niche) and NORQAIN, a really interesting watch brand. Many of their watches uses Kenissi movements, the same as Tudor. I've met the company leadership and they're a very interesting company.

I think that the Meistersinger will appeal to the “I already have so many watches” type person. At one time, I had three but I’m down to one now. What ship did you see NORQAIN, I’m not familiar with that brand but I’ll have to check them out!

14 minutes ago, Atebir said:

I think that the Meistersinger will appeal to the “I already have so many watches” type person. At one time, I had three but I’m down to one now. What ship did you see NORQAIN, I’m not familiar with that brand but I’ll have to check them out!

They were on Equinox. That was my thought on Meistersinger as well. 

Lots of info re Rolex on cruise ships.

I wouldn’t take a chance ( servicing, parts , warranty ) etc.

Be smart ( like me 20 yrs ago ) — 

Go into any of those t shirt, sun cream “ emporiums “ on any Island— ask for the Manager ( of the hour ) — tell him/ her that you know a guy whose friend has a cousin who bought a Rolex there and ask if they can get you one in the next hour.

One hour later— there it is— now the negotiations start— you will win — tell him/ her that you know the “ ropes “ and , and , until you settle on the price they wanted all along.

You will be happy (for 4 day s) —until you notice your wrist is green and the watch doesn’t move past 1:27 .

Better than $ 7000 only to find out that no authorized Rolex dealer will service it .