A bit of confusion when trying to add 3rd & 4th passengers to a fully paid booking.

Don_In_AZ

So we are cruising with my daugther and son-in-law who only last night found out that their childcare completely fell through.  So they asked me (as the trip coordinator) to just upgrade them to a 4 berth cabin and add my 2 granddaughters (7 and 9) to the booking.  Didn't seem like it would be a big deal.  I was much more concerned with getting them added to our flights as those were looking full 3 weeks ago when I made the original bookings.  To my releif, there was not only space available on the flights, but we even get the low fare...so next up was to call my TA and amend the cruise booking.

My TA was out today so I was put with a supervisor to make the necessary changes.  He found everything we needed and put us on hold to contact Princess and lock everything in.  So we held...and held...and held.  Finally the supervisor comes back on the line and says he's getting pushback from Princess.  Apparently Princess was asking that we cancel and re-book.  We are fully paid so that would mean forfeiting the original non-refundable fare and rebooking the larger cabin.  However the TA assured us that whomever he was talking too was probably new and wasn't grasping the situation, so he was waiting to talk with a supervisor...back on hold.  Holding...still holding...getting a bit nervous...more holding...  Finally the TA comes back on and says they are insisting we forfiet the original fare and re-book if we want to change.  I said we would not be able to afford that.  It so happens that the travel agency we are working with is one of the larger ones in the U.S. and my TA said he could probably get in touch with a more senior manager at Princess and explain the situation because it just didn't seem right.  All we really wanted to do was upgrade to a more expensive cabin (one which was available) and then add a 3rd and 4th guest.  That should not be a cancel and re-book.

About 2hrs later, he called back and said that he was indeed able to get ahold of a senior sales manager who was able to get the changes made and it would even be $100 less than the TA had originally quoted for the upgrades.  HUGH SIGH OF RELEIF!   Thank you to whomever that manager was at Princess and thank you to my TA for fighting for us! 

Edited by Don_In_AZ
  • Like 1