Roughness on pacific coastal cruise in may?

Thanks. I am just going to post my question here since related. After mid ship, aft is best for roughness right and lower floor is best? If a ship is bigger is it better for roughness or does it matter if ships were built for same year and have the same stabilizers. I'm thinking of caribbean princess which has 3000 passengers and sapphire princess which is smaller and has 2000.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. I am just going to post my question here since related. After mid ship, aft is best for roughness right and lower floor is best? If a ship is bigger is it better for roughness or does it matter if ships were built for same year and have the same stabilizers. I'm thinking of caribbean princess which has 3000 passengers and sapphire princess which is smaller and has 2000.

No, the size of the ship doesn't matter. Its the design.

The general rule midship AND low is the best location. If you can't do midship, I would definitely put low as the next priority, not fore or aft.

Hi CruiserBruce. I have one final question hopefully. I'm still debating between spring and fall as in another thread you stated that in the fall it is generally less rough. However, the other cruise i'm looking at it sails oct 21 and you said its better early fall. So would it be rougher as that is later in october?

Again, seas can be rough any time, so it is hard to say one time is definitely better than another.

In California in September, October and sometimes into November, we can have offshore wind patterns. This can make the sea relatively calm, and the temps ashore pleasant to warm. So, if you happen to catch that weather pattern, particularly the California coast can be very nice.

On the other hand, the later into October, the greater chance for strong storms, particularly from SF north. In fact, a standard pattern is 3 or 4 days of the offshore wind pattern, followed by rain.

I have another question. Is it roughest between victoria and vancouver and astoria and victoria or would it also be rough between los angeles, san francisco and san diego? Just to add i ended up booking the spring cruise. I liked it spends 8-10 in san francisco and san diego, goes to astoria and 12-10 in victoria. The fall had 3 ports only and a lot less time in san diego. I guess i'll hope for the best. I just want to mentally prepare myself for when its roughest 

Edited by latebuyer

4 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I have another question. Is it roughest between victoria and vancouver and astoria and victoria or would it also be rough between los angeles, san francisco and san diego? Just to add i ended up booking the spring cruise. I liked it spends 8-10 in san francisco and san diego, goes to astoria and 12-10 in victoria. The fall had 3 ports only and a lot less time in san diego. I guess i'll hope for the best. I just want to mentally prepare myself for when its roughest 

Between Victoria and Vancouver is in Puget Sound, so, no that is not the roughest spot. In our 27 cruises, one the roughest spots we have ever sailed was the 2 or 3 hours entering the Straits of San Juan De Fuca, which is the entrance to Puget Sound. 3 hours of throw you out of bed roughness. And that was in late June.

Any of the spots along the coast can be rough.

Could it be that we are over thinking this? You are on a ship, on the ocean. Those two items (the ship and the ocean) can move. That is normal. I don't get on board a ship expecting it to be calm 24/7. If it is, that is a plus.