Does minimum bid for upgrade ever go down as cruise approaches?

tabprincess

I am on the Sky Princess 14 day sailing Feb. 24, 2024 and the upgrade bidding minimums are really high!  I have bid the minimum for an upgrade from interior to balcony on two prior sailings and have been successful on both. Each of those times it was around $150pp, a great deal!!  I  never checked back to see if those minimums had gone down as the sailing got closer, so can 't answer my own question.  Maybe this particular sailing is really full and therefore they can up the minimum bids? BTW, the minimum bid is $515.00 right now.

Some have reported the minimum bid going down by a whopping $5 closer to sailing.  I personally haven’t experienced that.  

I always book guarantee and the bids drop only when you get a comped upgrade to a higher category.  For example, I booked an Interior guarantee and the highest category I could bid on was a Standard Balcony for $150pp.  I got a comped upgrade to Deluxe Obstructed Balcony.  After the comped upgrade, I could bid all the way up to a Mini-Suite and the minimum bid for a Standard Balcony dropped to $30pp.

• Thanks 1

I have seen the minimum bid to upgrade go down as the cruise got closer. On my June 2 Alaska cruise the first email on March 20 it was AUD425.00 per person minimum bid to upgrade from an Obstructed Oceanview to a Standard Balcony. On May 5 it was AUD296.00. It probably depends on how full the ship is and how many have placed bids for the different categories.