Tours on our own, which tours, what to do Panama Canal?

dtmd

We will be on what I guess is a partial transit.  We are on the NCL Gem in February 2023.  It seems we are at Panama Canal from 5a to 3p and then Colon from 5p to 8p.

Few thoughts - I'm not huge on seeing the old locks - My husband probably wouldn't mind it.  I'm more of a beach and foodie person.  What will I be missing that I don't realize I'll be missing?

What other things are there to do, or can we do both?

Can we plan anything on our own?  External tours, on our own, book a private off the shop?

We've never been down this way, so looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

The many threads around here on excursions and other info. The first, and most important to note is that you CAN NOT go ashore on a partial transit in Gatun Lake on your own. You can only take a ship's excursion.

It is commonly recommended here that you not leave the port area in Colon. You won't have much time there anyway, the main purpose for the Colon stop is to retrieve pax who have taken excursions at Gatun lake.

First of all the stop in Colon from 5p to 8p is primarily to pick up the passengers who took ship's tours at Gatun Lake.  Those times are very fluid and I would not count on the times being used for any type of tour.  And as Bruce pointed out you really should not leave the port area in Colon.  Leaving the port area is fine if you are on a tour, but there is not time for a tour.

In all honesty beach and food are nothing you will find in Colon.  The nearest beach is at least 90 minutes away and the nearest food would be on your ship and a whole lot better than what you will find ashore.

Suggestion... let him go visit the original locks and you enjoy the ship.