Cruising Japan on Diamond Princess Wheelchair Excursions

Posted (edited)

Hi Has anyone been on the Diamond Princess out of Yokohama ? We are due to take the cruise on the 6th May calling at Kagoshima, Jeju,Otaru, Hakodate and Kushiro. My wife uses a wheelchair and we were wondering about excursions. I know it’s going to be limited but has anyone managed to complete a port excursion to these venues in a wheelchair  Any information including shuttle buses (are they accessible?) from port to anywhere. Also maybe port proximity to places of interest as most of the time this is what we have to do when we cruise as things can be very limited when you use a wheelchair . 

Edited by Odin's Raven

• Odin's Raven changed the title to Cruising Japan on Diamond Princess Wheelchair Excursions

Right now it's about 4AM here. I can answer about excursions in general with the Diamond in Japan this year,  but more completely to your questions in a few hours after I can speak with someone with more directly related experience.

The main thing about the Diamond circle Japan cruise excursions was that the English speaking tour guides barely spoke English.  Fortunately, someone sitting next to us on the bus was able to get through the heavy accent, misused and mispronounced words. Language ability was not like watching a reporter on NHK World. Someone posted on CC was that interpreters are in short supply and the better paying companies got better interpreters. If you understand Japanese and this is a non issue, sorry.

The Japanese reputation for timeliness was brought to the front. It was important that the tour operators arrived back to the ship on time. It is not important that you actually get to see what you paid to see. If there is traffic, you're paying for little more than a bus ride.

Bottom line is this, we opted for Princess excursions, but in this case, if someone gives you

a referral for a private company outside Princess with a good reputation, I'd go for it.

Talked with the person I mentioned. She brought a cane and was able to get by with that. She didn't notice about wheelchair tours. The historic sites had a lot of gravel instead of pavement. You didn't mention Nagasaki, but the Atomic Museum there had elevators. 

Thanks mtnesterz . Nagasaki is not on our itinerary. Can I ask you a question ? Do any of the ports I mentioned have shuttle buses that someone in a wheelchair could manage to get on. This can be a normal bus with double doors and a low entrance area or ramp. Also there would be a wheelchair area to move onto on the bus by these doors. Basically a normal transit bus not a coach .This would be a start as far as at least maybe getting into a town close by .

3 hours ago, Odin's Raven said:

Thanks mtnesterz . Nagasaki is not on our itinerary. Can I ask you a question ? Do any of the ports I mentioned have shuttle buses that someone in a wheelchair could manage to get on. This can be a normal bus with double doors and a low entrance area or ramp. Also there would be a wheelchair area to move onto on the bus by these doors. Basically a normal transit bus not a coach .This would be a start as far as at least maybe getting into a town close by .

There was a shuttle at one port. Not one you mentioned. The price was equal to US$30 and the line was long, like a ride at an amusement park. Did not notice any shuttle with wheelchair access.

It doesn't look like anyone else is going to chime in here and I know you ask about the Diamond Princess specifically. You might have better luck posting your question in the Disabled Travel section, or the Ports of Call Asia board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/