New attraction/site near Thessaloniki.

edinburgher

Should you have a port call at Thessaloniki, this may be another option to consider including in your sightseeing plans.for your day.

Palace of Aigai, near  Thessaloniki 

The location where Alexander the Great was crowned has only very recently opened following 16 years of vastly expensive restoration.

• Like 1

As I posted on the other thread where you mentioned this, I had the opportunity to hire a private driver to visit this newly opened site (with separate museum), as well as the site (and museum) at Vergina. 

I noticed in my research online in advance of my visits that some websites conflate the two places, but they are different places. Aigai was the old traditional Macedonian capital, used in the time of Alexander the Great mainly for traditional events and burials of the royal family.

Nearby Vergina was the “new” capital, built by the immediate predecessors of Alexander and his father, Philip II in an effort to compete with the cities of their Greek rivals.

Both places are well worth a visit and easily take up a full day. The Aigai site still has that “new museum” smell. The showstopper is the reconstruction of one of the facades of the Royal Palace at Aigai in a courtyard of the museum.

The places I mention above are all separate from the Museum of the Royal Tombs, also in the vicinity and DEFINITELY worth a visit as well (I had seen it on an earlier visit). It includes a walk through the underground tumulus of Philip II and assorted burial finds from his tomb and other royal tombs — amazing gold and silver work!

I’m traveling now but when I get home I’ll try to post a few photos.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I had the opportunity to hire a private driver to visit this newly opened site (with separate museum), as well as the site (and museum) at Vergina. 

First past the post, cruisemom42. Well done.😀

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2024 at 12:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

As I posted on the other thread where you mentioned this, I had the opportunity to hire a private driver to visit this newly opened site (with separate museum), as well as the site (and museum) at Vergina. 

I noticed in my research online in advance of my visits that some websites conflate the two places, but they are different places. Aigai was the old traditional Macedonian capital, used in the time of Alexander the Great mainly for traditional events and burials of the royal family.

Nearby Vergina was the “new” capital, built by the immediate predecessors of Alexander and his father, Philip II in an effort to compete with the cities of their Greek rivals.

Both places are well worth a visit and easily take up a full day. The Aigai site still has that “new museum” smell. The showstopper is the reconstruction of one of the facades of the Royal Palace at Aigai in a courtyard of the museum.

The places I mention above are all separate from the Museum of the Royal Tombs, also in the vicinity and DEFINITELY worth a visit as well (I had seen it on an earlier visit). It includes a walk through the underground tumulus of Philip II and assorted burial finds from his tomb and other royal tombs — amazing gold and silver work!

I want to go there!  We have an overnight at the port and it looks like we can take a train there!

On 1/13/2024 at 12:35 PM, cruisemom42 said:

ilki