Virgin Resilient Lady Bringing Wine Aboard on Boarding - Melbourne

I'll be a solo traveller when I board the Resilient Lady in Melbourne this Saturday for a 5 day trip to Hobart.

Can I bring on two bottles of wine (as I think two bottles per cabin are allowed) or is it one bottle per passenger?

Also, do I pack the wine in my bag or in my carry-on?

I accidentally packed 3 bottles of wine in my checked luggage on a cruise with Princess two years ago.  My suitcase took hours to arrive at my cabin, and was accompanied by a note saying something like "We know what you did. It will cost you".   I then got charged corkage, even though I consumed the wine in my cabin.

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

I accidentally packed 3 bottles of wine in my checked luggage on a cruise with Princess two years ago.  My suitcase took hours to arrive at my cabin, and was accompanied by a note saying something like "We know what you did. It will cost you".   I then got charged corkage, even though I consumed the wine in my cabin.

Yep, it may seem mean but it is their policy to charge corkage for excess bottles.

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Bottles of anything in checked luggage is a risk. The bags are not always handled with respect.

Definitely better in hand luggage, less chance of a spill and going through your clothes, less chance of corkage bills.

46 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Definitely better in hand luggage, less chance of a spill and going through your clothes, less chance of corkage bills.

We had a cabin neighbour several years ago who had a leaking bag outside their door after embarkation. A bit embarrassing when it smelled like scotch for a few days. We have only had a plastic bottle of Febreeze split and that was bad enough.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

When I started this topic I also emailed Virgin but did not expect to get a response before I leave in two days time.  Well, I was surprised to get an email this morning stating in part:

'If you want to BYO wine to enjoy on board, we allow two (2) 750ml bottles per cabin in carry-on luggage.'

So I will bring two bottles of wine in my carry-on and see how things work out.

Thanks again.

• Like 3