Mediterranean cruise and cell service?

Mikiejag

When I downloaded a Mint free esim, there are several setting that can be turned on that basically have verizon's Wifi calling to run over the esims data connection.

Test worked perfect, so doing that for Europe.  Thanks for all the advice.  🙂

i use the aforementioned international "day pass " from verizon at $10.

i don't see it mentioned here, so i'll mention it... while the data is technically unlimited, you do get throttled from 5G service down to 3G after the first 2GB of data. i assume that AT&T and the others have similar restrictions. and 5G may not even be available at all depending on the city or country you're visiting. (that's true of parts of the USA, too.)

using your phone on the ship while in port can be a challenge. first off, there a re a lot of metal walls and obstructions that may prevent the signal from reaching your mobile. second, you'll have to choose between wifi and cellular service. the NCL app won't work for shipboard services while you're connected to the cell network.

• Like 1

We are UK and pay £2 for a 30 day SIM that supports 15gb of data also unlimited calls at home and back to UK when roaming.

(We use as our main sim at home)

We find that while in port some variable time arriving and leaving port and some time at sea we get signal.

(When ashore we try to use WiFi to preserve data)

Those times are often sufficient to cover our needs with the odd use of included internet minutes to cover out of service period, often asleep, late evening and sea days.

You also have to be careful as some part of the Med are close to potentially  non included counties, Adriatic, Turkey and Morocco/north Africa are the ones we have to avoid.

The sim cannot charge so accidental connection to maritime or not included provider does not cost.

If we want to avoid switching to a non included provider we lock phone to the best included one, also handy when arriving/leaving to extend time before the phone wants to switch to maritime.

Been known to hang out on high outside deck to extend range/time.