Athens Bus/Metro Transfers between Airport and Piraeus/Cruise Terminals

Cruisehiker

We have recently embarked twice, disembarked once and had a day stop at Terminal C. Started a new thread as info on bus or metro transfers to the cruise are a bit lost in the bigger thread above. Also not many people know that the blue line metro which runs from the airport to Piraeus now terminates at the impressive new station of Dimotiko Theatro (Municipal Theatre) that is in the commercial heart of Piraeus, and actually nearer to the cruise terminals than the station that is called Piraeus. It’s a much more pleasant location than around Piraeus station to linger, and to catch a bus or hail a taxi to the terminal when embarking. It's also great for disembarkation because it's only a short bus or taxi ride from the ship (and a doable walk, with stops) and as the train starts from there, there are empty carriages to position bags before the train fills up as it moves through Athens. The fare to and from the airport is generally 9 euros but only 4.5 if you are a senior. You can’t buy concession tickets from machine though but have to go to a ticket office. The airport express buses are a bit cheaper and allow you to see city scenery but take a bit longer. The X95 goes to and from downtown Athens and the X96 goes to and from Piraeus. The Piraeus terminus changes from the daytime/early evening one to another late at night. https://*****.com/3fzukmju.

We based ourselves in Piraeus after the cruise and I can recommend spending some time there. It has a lively centre, cheaper hotels and cafes, is handy for ferry day trip to nearby islands such as Aegina and Hydra, has a pleasant coastal walk centred on Marina Zeas (which also many cafes, restaurants and shops on it or nearby), and has easy access to Athens centre via metro.

When using taxis we used FreeNow, an alternative taxi app to Uber and bigger in Greece I believe. Have used it in several European countries and it was good. https://www.free-now.com/gr-en/cities/

Have also made separate posts on DIY activities in our cruise stops of Thessaloniki, Rhodes and Heraklion (single post in Greek Ports of Call), Kusadasi and Limassol (in Turkish and Cyprus ports threads respectively).

Edited by Cruisehiker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 5:00 PM, Cruisehiker said:

. Also not many people know that the blue line metro which runs from the airport to Piraeus now terminates at the impressive new station of Dimotiko Theatro (Municipal Theatre) that is in the commercial heart of Piraeus, and actually nearer to the cruise terminals than the station that is called Piraeus. It’s a much more pleasant location than around Piraeus station to linger, and to catch a bus or hail a taxi to the terminal when embarking.

Thank you for this. Do you have experience with the taxis? Are they willing to take you just to the terminal and do to use the meter for a fair price?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 2:46 PM, jb12 said:

Is there a special train in Athens from airport to Center like in many European cities?

The Blue Metro Line 3 goes to the city centre (Syntagma and Monastiraki) station and costs €9. Alternatively there is a X95 express bus to Syntagma Square. Bus departs more frequently (every 15-20 mins) and train departs every twice an hour. So depends on whether you're staying close to Syntagma Square. If you're staying close to a metro stop, I would just use the metro all the way. 

If you're interested to go from the city centre to the port after your pre-cruise stay in Athens, I've got directions on my blog post: https://diycruiseports.com/embarkation/athens-to-piraeus-public-transport

I wonder if I can use Free Now app to get from Athens airport  to Center of Athens and on the way back from Piraeus port to Athens airport.

4 hours ago, jb12 said:

I wonder if I can use Free Now app to get from Athens airport  to Center of Athens and on the way back from Piraeus port to Athens airport.

Because of local taxi regulations, FreeNow is just a way to call a normal licensed yellow taxi in Athens. Same with Uber. So yes, you can use the app to call a taxi and pay with card. No difference really compared to just jumping into a local licensed taxi except the taxi will for sure let you pay by card.