Drinks on Embarkation Day

I have tried searching for the answers to no avail, so here goes. 

We are sailing on Prima out of Galveston in March. On embarkation day are we going to be charged for the drinks. I read somewhere that the drink package does not start until 6 am on the second day. That doesn't sound right, but I have never sailed on NCL. I realize that you might have to pay a tax while in port even if you have the drink package, but do we have to pay for the drinks as well?

Thanks in advance

Happy Sailing 

Hello.  In my experience on NCL cruises, the Free At Sea / Free At Sea Plus drink packages cover you for the entire time you are a passenger (arrival through departure while on the ship).  Some municipalities require that you be charged tax on the value of the drink while in port - if Galveston has this policy, then you’d be charged the tax on the listed price for the drink, but not be charged for the drink itself.  Fellow NCL cruisers - if you’ve had a difference experience with your drink package coverage, please correct me.  I hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Texas Realtor said:

I have tried searching for the answers to no avail, so here goes. 

We are sailing on Prima out of Galveston in March. On embarkation day are we going to be charged for the drinks. I read somewhere that the drink package does not start until 6 am on the second day. That doesn't sound right, but I have never sailed on NCL. I realize that you might have to pay a tax while in port even if you have the drink package, but do we have to pay for the drinks as well?

Thanks in advance

Happy Sailing 

You're confused by the Texas tax laws.  Until you hit international waters, all drinks are subject to Texas liquor taxation.  Any liquor served prior to leaving Texas water must be bought from Texas and Texas taxes must be paid.  These liquors are significantly more expensive than other liquor.  In order to keep costs down, the cruise lines will only purchase a limited amount of a few types of liquor bought from Texas.   This limits the drinks/wine/beer that can be ordered on board.   About an hour or so after leaving port the ship will switch over to the non-Texas booze.  That said, your drink package will be in effect as soon as you board.  It's just that some drinks won't be available till a couple of hours after leaving port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We just got off the Prima out of Galveston. Some bars will be open, but with limited menus. Think 1-2 types of whiskey, only a few beer options... Everything else is locked away, and as far as I can tell, you couldn't get the other options even if you were willing to pay.

We went up to the Observation lounge bar maybe 30 minutes after leaving Galveston, and had to wait for them to open their bar. The bartender made a big to-do about removing the Texas sign and raising the gate for the full bar options. It was important to people there, since there were some higher end whiskey options.

We weren't charged any extra taxes, and we had the drink package.

• Thanks 1