cancelled excursion, now what to do?

PJB3

We had an excursion to Tulum ruins cancelled just now by Celebrity and I need to figure out what to do instead.  It's in two weeks and there are 8 ships in port that day.  So bummed, as I thought we were so smart to get a ship's excursion that day to avoid crowds:(

Any ideas??

48 minutes ago, PJB3 said:

We had an excursion to Tulum ruins cancelled just now by Celebrity and I need to figure out what to do instead.  It's in two weeks and there are 8 ships in port that day.  So bummed, as I thought we were so smart to get a ship's excursion that day to avoid crowds:(

Any ideas??

Are you wanting something cultural?active? food? drink? Beach?

is it Spring Break or Easter?

what age range?

Have they canceled all mainland excursions?

Edited by c-leg5

Currently there is a “Norte”, or storm system impacting the area, and all ferry activity and ports have been closed. No boats have been allowed to leave any ports so all daysails have also been cancelled. Not sure if that is the reason your excursion has been cancelled (an abundance of caution), or something else…

8 ships in port…well that really sucks for someone that had a great day planned to avoid that…if I may be so crude…☹️

When are you in port?

We introduced two women to our favorite and trusted taxi driver who is based in Playa Del Carmen. They are scheduled to ferry over from Coz on Thursday and visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum and a less-visited cenote. They are monitoring the weather and hope to keep their plans. If you’d like our driver’s info and recent reviews I can share that. As discussed in another thread, some day visitors are averse to taking non-cruise line excursions, especially an excursion that involves a ferry and private driver. But many do not have a problem as the ferries are quite reliable, and the PDC/Tulum region well-developed…

Otherwise good luck, perhaps you can find a private tour or shared tour on Coz. I would certainly avoid any of the beach clubs that day…😉

Edited by blue_water

I don't think it's the  weather because it's still 2 weeks away.  I had wanted something other than the beach that day due to the large crowds but I couldn't find anything. We don't usually do ship excursions but I just don't feel comfortable with the time for a private company and getting to the mainland, hence our first ship excursion and it gets cancelled!

I ended up getting a day pass at the Westin and crossing my fingers that they limit the number of day passes they allow!

I think it probably has more to do with recent American tourist who was killed near Tulum, which was why I asked if all mainland excursions were cancelled. 

Look forward to a report on the Westin.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:10 PM, c-leg5 said:

I think it probably has more to do with recent American tourist who was killed near Tulum, which was why I asked if all mainland excursions were cancelled. 

Look forward to a report on the Westin.

No reason given I gather so no way of knowing. But that took place in the hotel zone and not where any excursions would go so…

Since Celebrity is still selling this excursion on future cruises it's more likely there were not enough guests taking the excursion, or there was a temporary glitch with the local resources used by the cruise line…

These nortes can last for weeks, so it could have been that simple a reason, but it has now cleared…

Again, it’s a shame…Hopefully you enjoy your day!

3 hours ago, blue_water said:

Since Celebrity is still selling this excursion on future cruises it's more likely there were not enough guests taking the excursion, or there was a temporary glitch with the local resources used by the cruise line…

Thanks, If other excursions are still available this is the most likely answer. That was what I was trying to determine and why I asked.

I am not familiar with Tulum area and just read “ a beach club”. I know some excursions do have time at a beach.

29 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks, If other excursions are still available this is the most likely answer. That was what I was trying to determine and why I asked.

I am not familiar with Tulum area and just read “ a beach club”. I know some excursions do have time at a beach.

Absolutely and I understand…the Tulum ruins typically include either a beach or cenote stop.

The area that has attracted so much investment recently and is extremely expensive and a hotspot for cartel activity is the Tulum “hotel zone” at the beach. Not really like the hotels in Cancun, but where all of the small hotels and restaurants are located on the beach in Tulum. The cartels are active where the $$$ is of course…

Tulum Pueblo, which is the section of town right on the highway and not far from the ruins, isn’t as bad…

The cruise lines may indeed be in the process of dropping these excursions, time will tell 😄

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Absolutely and I understand…the Tulum ruins typically include either a beach or cenote stop.

The area that has attracted so much investment recently and is extremely expensive and a hotspot for cartel activity is the Tulum “hotel zone” at the beach. Not really like the hotels in Cancun, but where all of the small hotels and restaurants are located on the beach in Tulum. The cartels are active where the $$$ is of course…

Tulum Pueblo, which is the section of town right on the highway and not far from the ruins, isn’t as bad…

The cruise lines may indeed be in the process of dropping these excursions, time will tell 😄

Thanks, I had them confused I thought the problems were in Tulum Pueblo but makes sense.

we have only been to Puerto Morelos and it has had its own problems. Sad really when you innocently get caught in the crossfire.

Do you still own in the area? I think I read you were thinking of selling up?

Edited by c-leg5

Yes we built a home in ‘15 and wintered there after visiting the area since ‘02. We sold last year, mainly because of the crazy growth that was still taking place, and we also missed other places. The violence was always that “elephant in the room”, of course…

But we still love the area and will be spending time there later this year…But if we are in Tulum it’s just on our way south…

• Like 1