Palamos, Spain info please

LSUkat

I will be on the Oceania Marina visiting Palamos, Spain for the first time on April 20, 2024. Can anyone who has experience with this port give me recommendations for sites and their experience with transportation around the area. I know Game of Thrones was filmed near there, but I have never see the show and don't believe this is a must see for me. I would like to visit the Dali museum and know the beach is beautiful, but it will more than likely be too cold to swim. Your input and information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi

Palamos is a small port northern Barcelona.

I will not recommend you to swim in April. Waters are still cold (even in Southern Spain it is not enough warm but surely not in Palamos).

That area is known as "Costa Brava" and it has some rocky bay quite peaceful.

I am afraid, you will need to rent a car or to do a ship excursion for almost all destinations

Girona is only 45 km away. Despite being so small (100.000 inhabitants), it offers enough for a day visit (even for a 2 day visit).

Cadaques, the small shore village where Dali was born and where museum is located, is 85 km away. Bus (excursion) or car is mandatory.

El refugio del genio Salvador Dalí | Meer

image.jpeg.fcbadaa815dcf3cbd6bb58539eea62e7.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LSUkat said:

Can anyone who has experience with this port give me recommendations for sites and their experience with transportation around the area.

We visited once on a port stop but were unlucky with very heavy rain that day.  We had plans which included using a local bus one way and following a scenic coastal walk but had to change due to weather.  That part of the Costa Brava is really quite scenic and Palamos is actually famous for "gambas"/prawns should you want to lunch ashore and try them.

There have only been a few past threads for Palamos, some of which have information in them and  I think it would be worthwhile you reading them for ideas.  Here;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=palamos&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=465

And even should you not want to book one. you could also look at the shorex being offered by your cruiseline for ideas.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I would like to recommend a website called whatsinport.com    

It says "it is your cruise guide to 1200 ports of call". It was very helpful to me in planning our Mediterranean cruise on the NCL Getaway last August.

Palamos is one of the ports listed. 

• Like 1

First activity to do in Palamos:

Eat prawns!!!!

They have "gamba de Palamos" (Palamos prawn) and have a look. It is well-known in the Mediterranean and not cheap at all

https://gambapalamos.com/

(I am afraid, webpage is only in Spanish, Catalan and French, you may use Google translator)

Official tourism page seems to know they have to focus in touristm.

This is the complete lists of cruises for 2024

https://visitpalamos.cat/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/CALENDARIO-CRUCEROS-2024.pdf

and you can have a look to their tourism webpage.

It is in English too (I found more information in Spanish but enough in English)

They offer a full list of activities based on local tourism, gastronomy and adventure (bikes, snorkel, sea activities, etc...)

https://visitpalamos.cat/en/experiencies/