Hilton Miami Downtown vs Intercontinental

Seeking opinions from people who have stayed at one or the other (or both). DW, myself and DS (will be 6) flying down for one night pre-cruise. Will be there early enough to have the afternoon to go get wine (they do sell it at Whole Foods and/or Publix, correct?), muffins for the next morning's breakfast and then have a little fun for the little guy.

Interested in hearing about the area, easy activities and dinner options nearby (we're easy to please, so something as simple as pizza for dinner works for us).

Can get the Hilton Miami Downtown for minimal points + $180 cash + $25 taxes (bay-view room). City-view room at the Intercontinental would run me $188 + $40 taxes (and looks like there's a roughly $40 resort fee).

Trying to weigh whether the Intercontinental is worth the extra $$.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

My Sister and I stayed at Miami Hilton Downtown (our go-to hotel for several years using points/dollars) mid February 2024 and the pool was 'closed for maintenance'.  There was no work going on,  the entire time we were there.  The restaurant/bar has good enough food but the rooms and elevators are old, need some help.  I would ask when making reservations about the pool - and maybe call a day or three before arrival.  I would not stay there again.

Edited by kneadsdough2cruise
spelling!