Liverpool to Chester by train

Hello.

We just had our itinerary changed with Liverpool added. I wanted to get some guidance on travelling to Chester by train. I believe we can walk to the James Street station and get a direct train. Do we need to pre-book tickets? If we can buy on the day of is it better to have cash or can we use a US credit card?

Thank you for any assistance.

Trains between the two cities are frequent (about every 20 minutes) and take about 40 minutes. No need to pre-book. Pay by either cash or Visa/Mastercard (many places don't take Amex but I don't know  whether that's the case with train tickets).

Chester's a nice place for the day (it's a short drive from home). If the weather is good, have a walk round the city walls (originally Roman but  extended and improved in medieval times)

3 hours ago, Harters said:

Trains between the two cities are frequent (about every 20 minutes) and take about 40 minutes. No need to pre-book. Pay by either cash or Visa/Mastercard (many places don't take Amex but I don't know  whether that's the case with train tickets).

Chester's a nice place for the day (it's a short drive from home). If the weather is good, have a walk round the city walls (originally Roman but  extended and improved in medieval times)

Thank you. This is great.