QM2 Atlantic Ocean Sea/Air Temperature Conditions Jan / Feb 25

Good Afternoon,

QM2 has a sailing from 11 Jan 25 to 15 Feb 25, sailing from Southampton to the Caribbean via Tenerife and then on it's  return via Madeira. It takes approx 5 days to travel from S/H to Tenerife. My question is to those who have travelled this route or have knowledge of the sea conditions and expected weather conditions for the next 6 days (after Tenerife) to get to the port at Grenada. 

Regards, Jennie.

I done 2 transatlantic in January, one was force 9 gales and 20 foot seas for the first 4 days the other was a mill pond.   Being south will give a good chance of better weather, but it is any body's guess what the weather will be doing in 2 years time

• Like 1

Indeed it's impossible to know how this will work. My working assumption would be that the first few days won't be great going through the Bay of Biscay, it has a reputation. By that I mean that the QM2 will glide through rubbish weather in the usual way, but it wouldn't surprise me if some or all the outside decks are out of service. I would then hope that as we dip below the usual jet-stream route on the approach to Tenerife it would then get both warmer and calmer. I guess in the ideal world one would have a sheltered balcony to the Canaries and a full balcony thereafter. 

But weather is a funny thing, and it could quite easily be the opposite. The other factor is that it's rarely going to stick to the same weather all the way through. So on my recent December crossing there were some Storm 10 days, but in between some days when the weather was quite acceptable and people were actively using the deck games area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

I done 2 transatlantic in January, one was force 9 gales and 20 foot seas for the first 4 days the other was a mill pond.   Being south will give a good chance of better weather, but it is any body's guess what the weather will be doing in 2 years time

Thank you Poole Boy for responding to my question. I agree I have crossed the Atlantic quite a few times on the QM2 (S/H, NY, Caribbean and return) and its a roll of the dice on what type of weather we would have. I was just interested in if taking a more southerly route one could expect better weather. Once again thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond and by the way its 11 months till the trip and not 2 years lol. Kind regards, Jennie

48 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Indeed it's impossible to know how this will work. My working assumption would be that the first few days won't be great going through the Bay of Biscay, it has a reputation. By that I mean that the QM2 will glide through rubbish weather in the usual way, but it wouldn't surprise me if some or all the outside decks are out of service. I would then hope that as we dip below the usual jet-stream route on the approach to Tenerife it would then get both warmer and calmer. I guess in the ideal world one would have a sheltered balcony to the Canaries and a full balcony thereafter. 

But weather is a funny thing, and it could quite easily be the opposite. The other factor is that it's rarely going to stick to the same weather all the way through. So on my recent December crossing there were some Storm 10 days, but in between some days when the weather was quite acceptable and people were actively using the deck games area.

Thank you Pushpit for your kind reply. That's me all over, asking impossible questions lol plus being a Brit most of us are obsessed with the weather. As I have done the S/H, NY Caribbean and return trip quite often I was intrigued to know how the weather would be different in taking a more southerly route. Once again, I thank you for taking the time out of your day to answer my question. Kindest regards, Jennie.