Wifi on Aurora

(Sorry if this is repeat topic, but I did look, honest!)

WiFi blackspots are a problem on ships, and I guess because of its age Aurora will have a few.  Can someone who has been on her recently say something about where it works and where it doesn't?

Others will care about speed of the connection, but my main interest is where I would have to be on the ship to use it.

Hi

We’ve never had an issue in B deck balcony cabins, mostly starboard (mid-fwd, mid, mid-aft, aft)

Cannot remember ever using it outside the cabin (I rarely take my phone/tablet out of the cabin, and husband never does)  so cannot comment for elsewhere! 

6 hours ago, WestonOne said:

(Sorry if this is repeat topic, but I did look, honest!)

WiFi blackspots are a problem on ships, and I guess because of its age Aurora will have a few.  Can someone who has been on her recently say something about where it works and where it doesn't?

Others will care about speed of the connection, but my main interest is where I would have to be on the ship to use it.

We have recently returned from 65 nights on Aurora (post Starlink installation). The WiFi worked absolutely fine in our cabin, the coffee shop and all the restaurants. We just had the basic package for one device, so it’s a bit of a faff (lots of clicks) to switch between devices, but we used it across 2 iPads and 2 iPhones (one at a time). No issues at all. Shame that I can’t say the same about the absolutely rubbish TVs! I’ve never paid for WiFi prior to Starlink so can’t say how it compares, but I was impressed. We were even able to make free phone and video calls via WhatsApp on the basic package. 

• Thanks 1

@Selbourne not sure I should say this on here but when we were on Britannia recently we got around this by setting up a hotspot on my phone and linking my wife’s phone that way.  We did the same on land as I get data roaming on my contract and she doesn’t.

Simple to set up and worked really well.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

@Selbourne not sure I should say this on here but when we were on Britannia recently we got around this by setting up a hotspot on my phone and linking my wife’s phone that way.  We did the same on land as I get data roaming on my contract and she doesn’t.

Interesting as we tried this, and our previously used hootoo device, last year on Aurora, but all were blocked.  (edit, blocked by ship, previously all worked okay, pre covid on Aurora) 

Edited by Goosebear Mum

26 minutes ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

I tried that without success. I’m not that hot on IT though. That’s what my kids are for 😂