Congee?

Ovener

First world question, sorry, and given all the recent reviews about Silversea I probably know the answer 😞. But one of my favourite things about cruising is…congee for breakfast. It’s a real vacation treat for me. I got hooked when working in Hong Kong over two decades ago. A perfect savoury mix of carbs and protein to fix you up for the day ahead…without the fat of bacon and eggs. Seabourn do it reasonably well (particularly if the roasted garlic is available); Viking do it (not so well). I’m on Silver Dawn in a few weeks’ time, and will be a Silversea newbie. Are there any places that offer it at breakfast please?

6 hours ago, Ovener said:

First world question, sorry, and given all the recent reviews about Silversea I probably know the answer 😞. But one of my favourite things about cruising is…congee for breakfast. It’s a real vacation treat for me. I got hooked when working in Hong Kong over two decades ago. A perfect savoury mix of carbs and protein to fix you up for the day ahead…without the fat of bacon and eggs. Seabourn do it reasonably well (particularly if the roasted garlic is available); Viking do it (not so well). I’m on Silver Dawn in a few weeks’ time, and will be a Silversea newbie. Are there any places that offer it at breakfast please?

Congee should be available in La Terrazza for breakfast.  It was when I was on both Silver Dawn and Silver Wind last December. 

• Like 1

I will have to try Congee on my next Nova cruise this September.  When on Nova this past December I enjoyed oatmeal more often than eggs, there were so many wonderful accompaniments to add including fantastic fruit, nuts & seeds. I loved the cherry plums & tropical fruit choices. I also felt physically better eating this breakfast. Are there additions to add to congee?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ovener said:

My wife had it a couple of times on Dawn in La Terraza last November, though I can't recall if it was called congee or juk or ???

The protein was pork.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C-sea said:

I will have to try Congee on my next Nova cruise this September.  When on Nova this past December I enjoyed oatmeal more often than eggs, there were so many wonderful accompaniments to add including fantastic fruit, nuts & seeds. I loved the cherry plums & tropical fruit choices. I also felt physically better eating this breakfast. Are there additions to add to congee?

On Seabourn they usually have additions of prawns, chicken, chilli, scallions, soy sauce and roasted garlic plus one or two others that change daily. You will enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

Congee should be available in La Terrazza for breakfast.  It was when I was on both Silver Dawn and Silver Wind last December. 

Good news, thank you so much!

On 3/23/2024 at 3:25 PM, Ovener said:

First world question, sorry, and given all the recent reviews about Silversea I probably know the answer 😞. But one of my favourite things about cruising is…congee for breakfast. It’s a real vacation treat for me. I got hooked when working in Hong Kong over two decades ago. 

We overlapped in HK! Very possible we rubbed elbows in Lan Kwai Fong.  Those were the days--unlimited congee and dim sum (and a metabolism young enough to easily process it!). 

• Haha 1