Norwegian spirit Dec 10, 2024 from Manila to Taipei

kashmira

I am 72 cruising solo with some mobility problem hip problem cant walk too much. I wish to stay in Manila for at least 3 nights to experience Manila.

1) Can the grab drop me off right at the door of the cruise port so as soon as I enter I get my wheel chair.

2) Moderate hotel options near the port from where I can also take a grab to city center to explore shopping malls and food.

3) The hotels on Booking.com etc. rate them as excellent but the lowest ratings give away explaining that how bad it is. So it is very difficult to chose.

4) Sim cards information will also be appreciated.

5) At Manila Airport will I be able to get wheelchair assistance.

AND THE SAME QUESTIONS APPLY FOR END OF MY CRUISE IN TAIPEI .

I would like to cruise for now until I am able to ( God forbid I BECOME INVALID WITH SOME HEALTH ISSUES).

Some people might say why does she want to travel when she is unable to.  We should never take our good health and life for granted.

I say we all have the right to live our old age life. 

I truly appreciate your feedbacks in assisting me to plan accordingly.

THANKS A ZILLION.

Posted (edited)

@kashmira I'm afraid I cannot provide answers to some items as I do not have experience using a wheelchair and have not traveled to Taipei. For hotels, I too have some not so good experiences with hotels in Manila, maybe some other members can help you with that. I also noticed that buildings and establishments in Manila are not very wheelchair friendly, except maybe the big shopping malls. For sim cards, there are several you can choose from: Smart, Globe, Talk N Text, Touch Mobile, Dito, and GOMO. Smart and Globe are the two biggest providers, Talk N Text is cheaper and is also using Smart network, Touch Mobile is also cheap and is using Globe network. Dito is the cheapest, but requires your handset to be compatible with the network to enjoy it fully, also has the weakest signal. My choice of sim card is with GOMO for its non-expiry calls and SMS. Lastly, you can get wheelchair assistance at Manila airport. I almost forgot to add about the SIM registration process for foreign nationals. SIM cards for foreign nationals should also be registered. Here’s a site that might help https://ntc.gov.ph/faqs-on-the-subscriber-identity-module-sim-registration-act/ 

May your journey be as comfortable as it is memorable.

Edited by JourneyJim

Only been to Manila once but I did not get off the ship that day, so can't help you there. For Taipei, which I am a little more familiar with, the port in Keelung is not near any good hotels other than the EVA Hotel near the port. Never stayed there but had lunch there once. Seems nice but not sure if you actually want to stay in Keelung. You would need to get into the city of Taipei for good hotels, which is about half an hour car ride away. Once in Taipei, it should be easy as far as transportation goes, with taxis, subway, buses, etc. I wonder if the cruise line offer transfers from Keelung port to Taipei? Otherwise, there should be taxis available, not sure about the price though. The train station is not far from port, just don't think you can manage to get there on your own with luggage. Let me know if you have other questions regarding Taipei.