Tipping on Safari

This might not be the best place to post this question, but for those who have done a South African safari can you give me guidelines of how much and when to tip your driver for instance?

As well, if there is some kind of local entertainment during dinner- same question. 

Posted (edited)

South Africa doesn't have a strong tipping culture, but safari guides kinda expect something and you may get the odd hint any time from initial paperwork to goodbyes. But don't be swayed by any suggested amounts. 🙄

Tipping at US levels isn't regarded as generous - it's regarded as a mug's game.

I guess the equivalent of 10 USD per person per day for about a week's safari, mebbe 15 USD pp for a single full day.

But I suggest you follow our general routine - for a very satisfactory experience a total of 50 - 75 USD per day divided by the number of guests, which is usually 4 to 8 per safari jeep. More for going the extra mile, less or more-likely zilch for an unsatisfactory experience (which I doubt will happen).

South Africa has a very poor exchange rate - so the value (other than the very best safari lodges) is excellent and tips are worth rather more than you'd think.

Tip at the end of the safari.

For a small organisation, a good review is more important than good tips.

I guess organised entertainment will depend on the size of the establishment and the price level - we've only once come across organised evening entertainment, fire-eating round the pool at one quite large mid-priced lodge on a roving safari.

But it's not really necessary, dinner or after-dinner in relaxed surroundings round a braal & chatting to guides & guests is fine for us - and early-to-bed because the best drives start around 5.30 - 6am

For a one-lodge safari there's usually a game drive before breakfast, another in the afternoon,  and sometimes a night drive. Jeeps are open-sided with tiered seats like an early charabanc. The more-expensive ones have a tracker seated on the nearside front wing. They remain in one reserve, which is open only to guests in the reserve's lodges.

All are high-quality lodges, but the most expensive eg Sabi Sands have the best animal sightings.

Roving safaris are usually better value & with more flexible pricing. They start a little later in the day, and some days are a mix of game drives and travelling. Jeeps are closed because of the distances and the need to carry luggage, but they have a full-length pop-up roof. They travel between reserves.

Drivers on both fixed & roving safaris keep in touch with each-other by radio and share information about sightings. On fixed safaris that means only two or three jeeps, on roving safaris that can mean only a few or it can mean too many.

Bear in mind that there's a huge selection of safaris & locations, so our experiences - whether on fixed safaris or roving safaris or self-drive Nat Parks may not be relevant to what or where you're booked. 

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1