Looking for advice LAX to China and return from Tokyo.

goletans

"Hainan has long been known for phantom inventory"

I didn't know that. The rep I spoke to yesterday helped me make the reservation, but I have yet to receive confirmation when the flights we want reappeared. I am quite concerned. 

Skytrax has this: “The only 5-Star Airline in China, Hainan Airlines has in recent years developed a product and staff service level to match the best international carriers. Emphasis on delivering the highest service standards is supported by consistent and friendly cabin crew with good language skills, and the Business Class product sets some Best Practice standards for catering and amenities.”

We chose Delta for the outbound flight because the value couldn't be beat. Our overall price although expensive, saves us about $3000 each over Oceania's price.

1 hour ago, goletans said:

Skytrax has this: “The only 5-Star Airline in China, Hainan Airlines has in recent years developed a product and staff service level to match the best international carriers. Emphasis on delivering the highest service standards is supported by consistent and friendly cabin crew with good language skills, and the Business Class product sets some Best Practice standards for catering and amenities.”

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Skytrax is well know for dubious ratings and conflict of interest.  They are a consultancy that earns the majority of its income from the very airlines and airports that it "objectively rates".

They give Houston Hobby a five star rating.  Same for Rome.  Neither comes close in reality.

Hainan and Garuda are five stars, while Emirates, Etihad and Turkish are four?  Air Transat is a four, while AA, UA, DL and AS are three?

1 hour ago, goletans said:

We chose Delta for the outbound flight because the value couldn't be beat. Our overall price although expensive, saves us about $3000 each over Oceania's price.

And how would it overall compare with a round-trip bought directly from the carrier?  Just because it might beat an Oceania price doesn't deal with the complete picture.  Especially if you were counting on a phantom ticket from Hainan to make it a bargain.

Thank you, FlyerTalker!

I did more research and we've decided against Hainan. Now the search continues for the outbound flight.

I checked Delta for the multi-city option, but it would be too silly expensive.

I know folks say, "I appreciate you" alot, but sincerely, we appreciate you on this topic and so many others.

Well, by buying the DL return from Tokyo, you have pretty well boxed yourself in.  It will probably be about $3000 for you to get a one-way ticket to Beijing.  That would be with either China Southern or Phillipine.  Of the two, I'd take China Southern, as PR has you on a narrow-body for almost 5 hours from Manila.  CZ has you wide-body for both segments, flying through Guangzhou.

Hopefully that DL ticket was under $1800, which was the ANA price for the roundtrip.  And ANA would have been a better experience than using CZ or PR plus DL.