Question about departing from Istanbul

We are now purchasing our airfare for our cruise; we will arrive in Athens and departure will be from Istanbul.  Disembarkation begins at 8AM. 

Can anyone recommend how much time to allow for the airport transfer, and then how much time should we allow at the airport to arrive at our gate after  security, etc.  Can anyone recommend a reliable transport service in Istanbul ? 

We did an Istanbul return last October and used Welcome Pickups for the journey from airport to hotel.  I was very impressed - a spotless Mercedes van - and it was inexpensive.

Our return to the airport was on a cruise ship bus transfer and took just under an hour.  Though that was from an infrequently used port on the south side of the Golden Horn, I'd expect the time from Galataport to be similar or slightly less.  It was a bit late leaving the port (c.9.30 am) and when we arrived at the airport the check-in queues were significant.  Our flight was at 13:15, and I was getting marginally twitchy.  In the end we had more than enough time.  The airport is huge, and you could end up walking a short or very long way to the gate.

I used welcome pickups in Feb to/from the airport and highly recommend.  Make sure to have Whatsapp on your phone so you can text with your driver.  It takes about 45-1 hour with no traffic to reach the airport.  Once you reach the airport you'll go through security immediately prior to the check in desks.  After check in you head to immigration and then security again.  If your flying to the US direct from Istanbul, expect another security check at the gate ie. full pat down and all your bags looked through.  The new airport is very nice but very large.