Le Bellot - Gentlemen's Dress Code

RoamingBuff

In a few weeks I'll be cruising on Le Bellot for 11 days around Scandinavia and Scotland.  The information from Ponant indicates there will be a "White" evening and up to two formal evenings. 
My first question is how serious are they about gentlemen actually wearing all white (or white and black); and is it dress-up or anything (within reason) of the noted colours?
Second, how truly formal are "formal evenings"? They suggest suit or tux and tie.  Is a nice sport coat with a tie acceptable?

Finally, are there usually many solo travelers on Ponant cruises?
Any input from prior cruisers will be appreciated!

• Like 1

We look forward to hearing about your cruise!

Generally speaking, Ponant and their guests are pretty relaxed about such things. 

For White Nights, yes, there will be some who are all-in, decked out in their best white attire. Then the bulk, who have a white shirt with or without jacket and the remainder who don't play at all. I don't think anyone would feel self-conscious for not participating. 

For gala nights, there will inevitably be a tuxedo or two and a few suits. The bulk will wear a jacket with or without tie and a few will not have a jacket or tie. In that case, I would personally fell a little underdressed without the jacket.

The one consideration is that Expedition cruises tend to be way less dressy than European cruises, especially themed European cruises (the ones with classical music / gastronomy themes). The above advice still stands, but the ratio will change -- European cruses will see more ties than Seychelles.

Ponant has a good "no single supplement" program, so depending on the cruise, there will be a number of single travelers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

White-themed evening, expect very few if any to be wearing that, even with a significant French contingent. I had the outfit (scored cheap) and even w/o jacket, some pax told me they thought I was a ship officer.  Even picked up a jacket (from the Salvation Army - barely if ever worn) at a turnaround point to complete the look.  Haven't worn any of the stuff since but will drag it out for the Explora cruise next week.

And yes, formal/gala is a lot less formal (just business attire for men) than say Princess, Holland America and especially Cunard.  I just reused my whites for gala/formal evenings.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 5:10 PM, RoamingBuff said:

My first question is how serious are they about gentlemen actually wearing all white (or white and black); and is it dress-up or anything (within reason) of the noted colours?

White Dockers and an Eddie Bauer shirt-sleeved button-down shirt were just fine. At least I thought so...and nobody threw me overboard, so, good enough! Maybe they also thought I was an officer? 😉

This was actually a nice evening on our cruse last year through Indonesia. We all gathered on the stern of the ship, where the landing pontoon folds in, and at that point we were just a few feet above the water level but with the electric drive and the smooth seas it was lovely. The wine helped too.

Chris, of course, wore a nice outfit. A simple white linen dress, perfect for the tropics. Around Scandinavia in April, this may not work as well!

20230312_184339_edited-2.thumb.jpg.dc8b5dcd7a31bfa59bd35d2ea805b63c.jpg

On 4/13/2024 at 5:10 PM, RoamingBuff said:

Second, how truly formal are "formal evenings"? They suggest suit or tux and tie.  Is a nice sport coat with a tie acceptable?

Tux definitely not required. Sport coat and tie very acceptable.

• Like 1