Anyone living in Seattle or has sailed Seattle to Alaska

marcyjane

As our cruise gets closer to sailing time I've got a couple of question about the Seattle area.

We are flying in on Friday afternoon and we have booked a pre cruise stay at Marriott Springhill Suites on Yale Avenue for Friday night and Saturday night and as well have also booked a tour of the City of Seattle on Saturday.

The tour will be about 3 to 4 hours with Scenic Seattle Tours and they are to pick us up a the hotel on Saturday morning.

My question is we will have from about 12:00pm to 1:00pm til bed time to explore more of Seattle so I need some suggestions like any shopping areas close to the hotel as well as a nice but not really expensive place to eat and a grocery or quick market near by to pick up those last minute item that maybe you forgot to pack and soda's and water to take aboard the ship.

Any and all information will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance for you time and trouble

Marcy

Thanks so much Budget Queen from reading these boards you really know your stuff, I have been reading here from months on Alaska cruises and cruise lines and you have helped myself and everyone here on cruise critics by giving your knowledge of Alaska cruises and tours

Thanks,

Marcy

There's a "Pike's Market" in northern Maine. The one in Seattle is the "Pike Place Market," or "Pike Market." Unlike Pike's Peak, Pike Street (of which Pike Place is a tributary) wasn't named for Zebulon Pike. (I know, how anal can one be? It's a pet peeve.)

By all means visit the Pike Market (around a 15-20 min. walk from your hotel, or they may have a shuttle.) Also you might visit the International District, Seattle's Chinatown (but many Asian cultures present) for good shopping and dining. If the Mariners are in town you can undoubtedly get walk-up tickets that will let you see our wonderful ballpark, and maybe a wonderful ball game (or, regrettably, one of the other kind.)

Or you can let inspiration strike - you'll get a good overview during your tour; you can pick a place and get a cab back there during the afternoon.

Marcyjane, thanks so much for the link. We've been looking at tours of the city from Show Me Seattle and they look pretty good, too. The trip to Mt. Ranier from Scenic Seattle Tours looks like one that several in our group are would be interested in taking. Between the 2 companies, we may have found what is a great 'fit' for our group!

Archived