Oosterdam deck 4 cabins

peajay

Posted (edited)

I am about to book a January 2025 South America and Antarctica cruise on Oosterdam.  Not many cabins still available, and since the southern waters around Cape Horn can be rough I am thinking of going for a lower deck. Does anyone have experience of balcony cabins on deck 4 forward section? They are above the theatre so I am concerned about noise levels. They also seem to be the only balcony cabins that have steel and not glass balustrades, so I am wondering how much that spoils the view.

Edited by peajay

You will hear noise from the theater.  The latest show is over by 9 ish but occasionally there is a movie night until 10.  Afternoon rehearsal may disturb you if you are a napper.  They also hold lectures in the afternoon but those usually are not loud enough to disturb you. It is not continuous noise nor early morning noise 

5 minutes ago, peajay said:

I am about to book a January 2025 South America and Antarctica cruise on Oosterdam.  Not many cabins still available, and since the southern waters around Cape Horn can be rough I am thinking of going for a lower deck. Does anyone have experience of balcony cabins on deck 4 forward section? They are above the theatre so I am concerned about noise levels. They also seem to be the only balcony cabins that have steel and not glass balustrades, so I am wondering how much that spoils the view.

We had rough weather on the Eurodam 2 summers ago in Alaska.  We were the 2nd cabin from the front on deck 5 and felt every wave.  Only a few cabins back would have been much better.

We also sailed the cape horn route on the old Star Princess (2002) back in 2012.  We had "Lake Drake" which still was a bit choppy but not bad.  The captain mentioned it could be much worse.  We were in a cabin on the 11th deck near the aft elevators and hardly noticed it.  We actually had worse weather in the straight of magellan and were told by the captain to sleep in and avoid the worst of the swells.

If you are concerned about it and medications work well for you, take them proactively and enjoy your cruise.  If medications don't work well, consider something further back.

10 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The latest show is over by 9 ish

On my SA & Antarctica cruise in February, the second show in the theater started at 9.  I would be more concerned about the noise than the steel balcony.  

We had a deck 8 cabin verandah towards the aft.  The only time we felt the motion was going through the Drake passage when the seas were so high all the outside decks were closed.  I came prepared with sea bands, Motion Eaze and candied ginger (The medication makes me sleepy and I didn’t want to miss a minute!) we kept green apples in the room.  I never used any of it.  My husband used it during the passage.

It was as a trip of a lifetime.  Enjoy.

4 minutes ago, 0106 said:

On my SA & Antarctica cruise in February, the second show in the theater started at 9.  I would be more concerned about the noise than the steel balcony.  

Many ships have made a recent change to 6 and 8.  I am not a fan of the new schedule and hope we soon go back to 7 and 9 

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Many ships have made a recent change to 6 and 8.  I am not a fan of the new schedule and hope we soon go back to 7 and 9 

Perhaps your wish has come true.  The Oosterdam’s late show was at 9 in February and is currently at 9 based on the Daily’s posted by someone on the current TA.  The Nieuw Statendam’s late show was at 9 when I cruised in March.  Based on the Daily’s posted by people currently cruising and doing Live threads, the Volendam & Rotterdam’s late show is at 9 and the Zuiderdam’s is at 9:30.

29 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Perhaps your wish has come true.  The Oosterdam’s late show was at 9 in February and is currently at 9 based on the Daily’s posted by someone on the current TA.  The Nieuw Statendam’s late show was at 9 when I cruised in March.  Based on the Daily’s posted by people currently cruising and doing Live threads, the Volendam & Rotterdam’s late show is at 9 and the Zuiderdam’s is at 9:30.

My last cruise was Koningsdam in end of March