500 Newfoundlander on Apex, April 6/7 2024?

Posted (edited)

Here'a news item making the rounds about 500 people from tiny Newfoundland Canada who all unknowingly booked the same cruise on Celebrity Apex out of Ft. Lauderdale on the weekend of April 6/7.

I'd be interested in hearing from other passengers on this trip who may heve encountered or met people from that group?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/500-newfoundlanders-wound-up-on-the-same-cruise-and-it-turned-into-a-rocking-kitchen-party-1.6849631

Edited by jargey3000
  • Like 1

I would be curious to know a couple of things…

Who was looking after the Province of Newfoundland while the population was cruising?

Did they have adequate stocks of alcohol to keep up with the fun?

Were the rest of the passengers on board able to understand our favourite blend of Canadians and their unique dialect?

I think it would have been one great kitchen party! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I was on that one.  I don't know about 500, but there was a lot of people with Newfoundland t-shirts or badges, definitely enough for my wife to say to me "is it me or...".

Reading the article, seeing the pool roped off for a private event one night makes perfect sense.

I'm not shocked so many of my fellow Newfoundlanders made it to the same ship, I was just surprised at both the response from the cruise line AND the media. Granted I wasn't on the cruise but I know a few people who had been. It was nice to see the cruise line acknowledge so many and I'm sure people would enjoy a good old kitchen party! Being here now, we can expect winter for another few weeks. In fact, the Northern Part of the Province may receive up to 25cm of snow this weekend. So lots of Newfoundlanders like to get out of the winter weather, to the point that many travel companies have a specific discount for our province to get people on boats! It was funny to see the news spread locally on Social media as friends shared pictures, only to turn on the news one night to find it being reported nationally. At least it was some fun news in an otherwise dark news cycle. 

Posted (edited)

What a fun story! I grew up in Saint John, New Brunswick and non-east coast friends often confuse me for having grown up in St. John Newfoundland. Same coast but two very different places. I adore every Newfoundlander I've met. Lovely people! 

Perhaps Celebrity should consider hosting a "Come From Away" themed cruise based on the hit Broadway musical set in Gander, NFLD!

Edited by BeachTunes