Mendenhall Glacier on our own

ChemistBabe

How hard is it to get a taxi at the cruise ship docks to Mendenhall Glacier and back again?

(We will be there mid-June, so probably busy time.)

We are not big fans of big tour busses...

1 hour ago, milogurd said:

You can use the Juneau CapitalTransit bus if it fits your timeline:

https://juneaucapitaltransit.org/how-to-ride-to-the-mendenhall-glacier-visitor-center-with-capital-transit/ 

The city bus has always been an option but you have to have several factors work in your favor for it to be practical during a typical cruise ship port stop. You have to add the 3 miles of walking to and from the bus to however many miles you plan to walk once you get to the visitor center. Timing is somewhat critical since the bus runs so infrequently. My thinking has been that for a single person who feels up to the extra walking (or especially running) the savings might be worthwhile, but not so much for two or more, since rental cars and taxis are generally not priced per-person.

1 minute ago, ChemistBabe said:

Thanks everyone.  I think we will stick with the bus tour I have reserved.  That way I know we will get back in time for our afternoon excursion.

I missed the part about the afternoon excursion. It's pretty easy to spend a good part of the day at the glacier, hiking the various trails, etc. If you're doing an unrelated excursion besides it's impractical to take the city bus, even with a lengthy day in port.