Kyoto on our own?

jabrown40

We are in the planning thoughts for our Japan cruise April 2025.  We have an overnight in Osaka/ Kyoto. I've looked at the excursions, but I'm not really interested in touring shrines all day or large group tours. My adult son will be with me, he feels the same.  We were thinking of taking the Shinkansen or express train to Nara to the deer park, back to Kyoto to see a famous shrine, and dinner on our own.  Has anyone done something like this on their own?

4 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

We are in the planning thoughts for our Japan cruise April 2025.  We have an overnight in Osaka/ Kyoto. I've looked at the excursions, but I'm not really interested in touring shrines all day or large group tours. My adult son will be with me, he feels the same.  We were thinking of taking the Shinkansen or express train to Nara to the deer park, back to Kyoto to see a famous shrine, and dinner on our own.  Has anyone done something like this on their own?

Please note: April is Sakura Season (Cherry Blossom) in Japan. Golden week: Apr 29, 2025 – May 5, 2025.
Osaka Expo: Apr 13, 2025 – Oct 13, 2025

Ship will dock at Osaka Tempozan cruise terminal
Osaka to Nara: walk 10 min to Osakako Station, take Chuo Line to Ikome station, transfer to Kinetetsu-Nara Line to Kintetsu-Nara station.  travel time 1 hr.
Either walk or bus to Tōdai-ji temple and Nara Deer Park.
Nara to Kyoto:
a) To Fushimi Inari Taisha or Kyoto station: Take Nara Line from Nara Station (1 mile west of Kintetsu-Nara station), to Inari Station or Kyoto station.
b) To Fushimi Inari Taisha: Take Kintetsu Limited Express from Kintetsu-Nara station to Kintetsu-Tambabashi Station. Walk 3 min to Tambabashi Sation, take Keihan Main Line to Ryukokudai-mae-fukakusa Station.
To Kyoto station: Take Kintetsu-Kyoto Line from Kintetsu-Nara station to Kyoto station.
Kyoto to Osaka:
Take Tokaido-Sanyo Line from Kyoto station to Osaka station, transfer to metro Osaka Loop Line in Osaka station or metro Midosuji Line in Umeda station, then transfer to metro Chuo Line back to Osakako Station. one hour travel time.

If you like night out in Dotonbori (Osaka Time Square), take metro Midosuji Line to Namba station.

There are two levels and one underground food courts in Kyoto station.
Osaka station is complex, don't got lost inside!

7 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

This is fantastic, thank you!  We don't mind using taxis/uber either to get to stations, or from station to sites.  

If you go to Kyoto first, prefer taking a taxi (no Uber in Japan) from cruise terminal to either Osaka station or Shin-Osaka station. For short haul travel, shinkansen isn't the quickest mode of transportation, and is expensive. Usually I fly to Osaka and pre-cruise stay in Kyoto or Osaka, cost in much cheaper than in Tokyo, and ride the shinkansen from Kyoto to Yokohama cruise terminal in 2.5 hrs, same time frame from Tokyo Narita to Yokohama terminal. If you plan carefully, your saving can pay for another Japan cruise 🤑. If you plan staying in Nara for 4 hours, you can connect a local volunteer guide (you pay for his/her meal and travel/admin expenses). Most Japan attractions open till 5pm, plan accordingly.