Snorkeling from shore?

Choozin Croozin

Anyone know if there is a beach or place where you can snorkel from shore and actually see something. Or do you have to do a tour? If you do have to do a tour besides the Jolly Pirate, are there other companies that will take you out that hold less people? We are "seasoned" snorkelers and can't stand the masses.

Thank you Arubalisa. That was so much help. I'm sorry I didn't do a search before I started this thread. I usually do. :( ANother ?.......with the availability of shore areas, would you advise just renting a car then to do some touring and then stop at a couple of snorkeling spots? We don't necessarily want to spend our whole time snorkeling and are not really beach people. Maybe this would give us the best of both worlds?

You know that is an excellent question.

If you wish to snorkel for awhile, then go back to the ship, change, and walk back across from the pier to do some shopping or visit one of the casinsos, then you do not need to rent a car. Take a taxi or even the bus to whichever spot you choose. If you decide on the taxi, the driver will gladly make plans on a time to pick you up.

Now, about renting a car...The island is not THAT big, only about 26 miles long and 5 or 6 miles at its widest point. If you want to drive around for a couple of hours, you will see the entire island.

To just drive to and from the snorkel spot it is not worth it. Only exception being if you were planning on leaving the ship for dinner and using your rental car to go to the Flying Fishbone or Marina Pirata (LOL- search those 2 for some recent decadent threads :) ).

choozin,

We just got back and we rented a 4X4. First went to Baby Beach and got there before any crowds. Tons of fish right by the wall and if you are strong enough there were lots outside the wall although waves and current are strong there.

We drove through the national park and worked our way over to the California Lighthouse. There are several beaches up toward the lighthouse that had decent snorkeling although not a huge variety of fish.

It was a great way to tour the island, snorkel and have a nice lunch for less than the tours. If you are not into crowded snorkeling I really suggest this.

Do Baby first as there was a nice variety and it did not start to get any real crowd until 10:30 or so.

choozin,

We just got back and we rented a 4X4. First went to Baby Beach and got there before any crowds. Tons of fish right by the wall and if you are strong enough there were lots outside the wall although waves and current are strong there.

We drove through the national park and worked our way over to the California Lighthouse. There are several beaches up toward the lighthouse that had decent snorkeling although not a huge variety of fish.

It was a great way to tour the island, snorkel and have a nice lunch for less than the tours. If you are not into crowded snorkeling I really suggest this.

Do Baby first as there was a nice variety and it did not start to get any real crowd until 10:30 or so.

Thanks Apex....

Could I ask you how much the 4 X 4 was and you said the current is quite strong at Baby Beach......dangerously strong? I can swim but wouldn't call be a strong swimmer, but it all sounds really good! :)

I don't want to steal the thunder from Apex, but from my experience, we rented a 4X4 Jeep Wrangler for $75 for the day. The current beyond Baby Beach was not dangerous, in that it's not going to sweep you out to sea. You don't have to swim like Mark Spitz or Rowdy Gains either to swim there. You can test it, and determine whether you feel comfortable with the current. I'm sure the current depends a lot on the tide at any particular time.

jmo1 LOL, Thanks for the info. My son is a competitive swimmer and has had lifesaving, so I always felt better when he was around. Unfortunately, this is our first cruise without him. :( That makes me feel a lot better. IYO Did you feel it was worth renting the jeep? I just found out from someone I work with who was there last year (on a cruise like us) and didn't like aruba as he said it was quite dirty and there was a lot of garbage around etc. He like Curacao (sp?) much better.

IMO, the Jeep was worth renting for us, because we wanted to go to the Natural Pool that is only accessable by 4X4. We cramed five people in the Jeep, and we drove all over the island from end to end. If you have no desire to go to Natural Pool, then a Jeep is not needed. Bus or taxi fare to a beach would be a lot cheaper.

I did not find Aruba to be dirty. I did not see garbage lying around. The sand there is darker brown than many of the Caribbean's white sand beaches, so it could be perceived as dirty.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a beach with snorkeling within walking distance of the cruiseship dock? We'd like to relax on the beach and do some snorkeling, preferably close to the ship.
Directly to the north of the cruise pier is the island's freight depot. It is about a good 15 minute minute walk but there is a small beach to the south end of Oranjestad on the opposite side of the Renaissance Resort's Ocean Tower. This is a spot where some Aruban fishermen anchor their boats. I am not sure about the boat traffic in this area, nor whether there is even anything to see.

If you want a decent beach and snorkeling, your better bet would be to take a bus to one of the beaches on the northern tip of the island.

Archived