La Rochelle port to city centre

amurray88

Hi All,

I've read a range of posts about how to get to La Rochelle from the port. Alot are saying there is a free shuttle but others say there isn't.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 10:41 PM, amurray88 said:

Alot are saying there is a free shuttle but others say there isn't.

The port is actually at la Pallice, maybe 4 or 5 miles from  la Rochelle.

Must you only use a cruise shuttle bus? Cruise lines don't always put them on, and when they do, unless you are on a luxury line expect to pay quite high a price for tickets.

My understanding is that there is now a public bus which routes from the road outside the port to the big square in la Rochelle, the best spot from which to begin  independent sightseeing and where  taxis and any shuttle buses will also drop off/pick up.

You would need to check this as I only vaguely remember reading about this bus in a thread  some time ago.  Perhaps the Tourist Info Office could give you details/info and possibly a link to a timetable, or maybe the port website would have info, but that I do not know. Check for  any e-mail contact info on the relevant websites.

We shared a taxi with fellow pax but had to wait some time dockside for one as there were none intitially, then a number of them arrived within 5 minutes of each other and our driver explained that taxis are often contracted to take kids to school, and must do that before heading to la Pallice.  if you are not there during school term times, it may be different.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1