Bordeaux - top sights to visit

WESTEAST

Had no replies on an earlier topic post, so though to try again with a generic question. As a first timer to Bordeaux, what are the top sights to visit? Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

to try again with a generic question. As a first timer to Bordeaux, what are the top sights to visit?

top sights are only those which appeal to you personally according to your interests and Bordeaux has much to offer.

Can I suggest you make a start by looking at the excellent OFFICIAL Bordeaux Tourist Office website www.bordeaux-tourism as it has much info and many suggestions.  As a bonus, as your question is in two parts, on the top right corner of the site there is also a section for vineyard visits and tours.

And check the usual Tripadvisor, YouTube, Frommer's, Fodors, Rick Steves and any others which appear when you search for "Bordeaux Sightseeing or similar.

And if you have not already done so, you might find it helpful to read some of the past threads about Bordeaux.  Choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=bordeaux&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=462

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you for your reply. We have perused most of the tourist sites you have mentioned as part of our regular research.  Realize this post was a generic question - on a previous thread had asked feedback on visiting the Bassins des Lumières or venture to Saint-Émilion however, received no responses.  As most offered tours are to wineries, we are looking for other top choices recognizing that individual taste prevails. We frequently gain new insight from personal recommendations on CC.  

Posted (edited)

I'd suggest you have a look at gpsmycity.com

I use it to plan self guided walks. The website has a number of "attractions", for each city, some of which it marks as "Must See". The point of the website is that you select what you want to see, decide which one will be your starting point, and the site then puts everything into a route for a walk. You can then download i the walk to your phone or, as I prefer, use it in conjunction with Google Maps which I take a a hard copy. I've used this for Alicante and Cadiz and did have one planned for Bordeaux, for a cruise that we had to cancel at the last minute. 

Edited by Harters
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I'd suggest you have a look at gpsmycity.com

I use it to plan self guided walks. The website has a number of "attractions", for each city, some of which it marks as "Must See". The point of the website is that you select what you want to see, decide which one will be your starting point, and the site then puts everything into a route for a walk. You can then download i the walk to your phone or, as I prefer, use it in conjunction with Google Maps which I take a a hard copy. I've used this for Alicante and Cadiz and did have one planned for Bordeaux, for a cruise that we had to cancel at the last minute. 

This is a great suggestion and looking quickly see that the app works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad!  Will definitely look into.  Many thanks @Harters

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Harters said:

'd suggest you have a look at gpsmycity.com

We have also used this in other locations with some success.

If it helps you decide, St Emilion can be very very crowded.

I have no knowledge of the "lumiere" attraction you mention.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We have also used this in other locations with some success.

If it helps you decide, St Emilion can be very very crowded.

I have no knowledge of the "lumiere" attraction you mention.

We have downloaded the gpsmycity app and do plan to use for one day in Bordeaux and perhaps in other ports of call. Agree about crowds as most medieval villages and UNESCO World Heritage sites such as Saint-Émilion attract crowds.  Bassins des Lumières is the largest digital art centre in the world and is located in an old WWII German submarine base so sounds very interesting per our research.  Looking forward to Bordeaux and surroundings. 

• Like 1