Age limit on excursion

rjack22

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

Being from Hawaii it is hard to imagine there being an age restriction on who can swim and snorkel in the ocean.  What a ridiculous rule.

I think it’s more about who tour operators are willing to be responsible for. Their number one concern is getting everyone back on time. Weight and age restrictions may be designed to screen out those who may need assistance. It’s certainly an imperfect system but we were recently on a couple of excursions that required leaving and entering a catamaran to swim. It challenged quite a few and the crew really struggled to help a couple of them. I was concerned for everyone’s safety 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I think it’s more about who tour operators are willing to be responsible for. Their number one concern is getting everyone back on time. Weight and age restrictions may be designed to screen out those who may need assistance. It’s certainly an imperfect system but we were recently on a couple of excursions that required leaving and entering a catamaran to swim. It challenged quite a few and the crew really struggled to help a couple of them. I was concerned for everyone’s safety 

Age has very little bearing on whether a person is a good swimmer or snorkler.  They need to add a lot more restrictions then for "safety reasons" instead of an arbitrary number...ie, must be able to swim, get in and out of water without assistance, demonstrate proficiency in using mask, snorkle and fins, no serious health issues, etc.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Age has very little bearing on whether a person is a good swimmer or snorkler.  They need to add a lot more restrictions then for "safety reasons" instead of an arbitrary number...ie, must be able to swim, get in and out of water without assistance, demonstrate proficiency in using mask, snorkle and fins, no serious health issues, etc.

As others have said, risk rises with age. Age limits are of course, not a perfect system for gauging risk though. Most operators do mention other requirements 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

I have been looking for independent tours in Grand Turk but haven't been able to find one that goes to the Wall and is on a catamaran like the Princess tour.   I'll keep looking.

2 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

Problem is no way to check most of them. As Hawaii found most snorkeling deaths are older tourists.  Some considered to be in excellent shape, with no pre existing conditions.  Several Hawaii based tours forbid full face snorkel masks based upon some of the statistics from there.

2 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

I have been looking for independent tours in Grand Turk but haven't been able to find one that goes to the Wall and is on a catamaran like the Princess tour.   I'll keep looking.

To the wall no problem, catamaran problem.

While age itself may not be a determining factor itself. With increasing age comes pre existing conditions (known or unknown), reduced lung capacity, reduced cardiac capacity, etc.

Add to that a tourist environment where many do not swim or snorkel frequently, where they may have flown within the previous 72 hours.

All increase risk.

Add to that one is breathing through a tube with higher resistance then normal. The capacity of the tube adds additional dead space where the last of your exhaustion, is the first part of your inhalation so one is bringing in more CO2 than normal. All of which means that risk does increase with age.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just find a private excursion that allows people your age. Your age is in the system and it knows how old you are. Moreover, lying is never the way to go. Just book your own excursion - without the age limit.