H-L Europa2 recent experiences - smoke and others?

I have searched the forums and found some older discussion but would like more recent feedback.  We are very interested in an itinerary that is (mostly) unique to the Europa2 and it looks like a great ship.  We understand some of the basic differences - that most passengers will be German-speaking (sounds fun!) and that drinks are not included (less fun but fine 😁).  We don't speak much German and have a slight fear of being isolated but we know it's good to get out of your comfort zone.

Our main concern is wrt smoking being allowed in so many places.  When we go to other countries we accept that more people smoke and we deal with it as we are guests there. I presume that will be the same on this voyage but I am wondering if anyone found the smoke situation unbearable? 

Excursions - We also like to get off the ship and unlike Regent (that we just got off a few days ago and loved) HL does not have an excursion list available until 2-3 months prior.  Could we reasonably expect the usual complement of them to be available?  It's a southern Asia itinerary, so both "temple tours" and active/snorkeling .

I would appreciate any feedback as there are not so many reviews although most are highly positive.  Thank you!

the second day there is a party for non German speaking guests with complimentary Champagne 😁  the international hostess will contact you

you will receive the daily programm in English and in the restaurants the menu's are available in English just ask for it in the buffet restaurant the English menu's are in another colour. ( i think green, German is light bleu ) Everybody working on the ship does speak English - most suite attendants  do speak better English as German as   most of them are from Philipinnes and some from Indonesia even some waiters from Tunisia ( they asked me to speak French what was not a problem as Belgian🤩 )

imho only the 4 most expensive suites owners and grand penthouses are able to book before the other guests . also those can book speciality resto's prior to other guests  

so when you do receive the info  , book asap !! 

I think smoking is only permitted in the Collins bar where expensive cigars are available and in a small part on the open deck  - since last year it is not permitted anymore to smoke at the counter of the pool bar  - you cannot smoke in your suite 

no smoking in the restaurants for sure 

i do not like smoking at all ... never endured problems. 

• Like 1

I forgot to mention there is a small part of the Yacht Club restaurant and the Sansibar bar - outside where smoking is permitted 

very easy to avoid !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vistaman said:

I forgot to mention there is a small part of the Yacht Club restaurant and the Sansibar bar - outside where smoking is permitted 

very easy to avoid !

Thank you Vistaman.  I have also read your other posts on this ship and they have been very helpful.  Our main concern was balcony smoking but I assume since you didn't mention it that it was not an issue.

Seems like a great ship and we like to get outside our comfort zone sometimes.  Being a little extra cautious as we are relatively novice cruisers and there are 5 days at sea on this voyage.  Just got off the Regent Splendor and I think it made us "cruise people".  We loved it.

Thanks again.  

22 minutes ago, The Hudson Co. Landlubber said:

Thank you Vistaman.  I have also read your other posts on this ship and they have been very helpful.  Our main concern was balcony smoking but I assume since you didn't mention it that it was not an issue.

Seems like a great ship and we like to get outside our comfort zone sometimes.  Being a little extra cautious as we are relatively novice cruisers and there are 5 days at sea on this voyage.  Just got off the Regent Splendor and I think it made us "cruise people".  We loved it.

Thanks again.  

I like the Regent Splendor as well   ,  i will join her on 24 th October - discovered het last year  as there were low single sup. 

You can take alcohol on board if you want to have a drink on your balcony , the first day do not forget to ask your room steward to provide ice twice  a day as this is not automatically done on Europa  2. In any case you will receive half a bottle of real Champagne as well. 

During the pool party , 3 fancy cocktails are offered as well and Hapag Lloyd never was avaricious with the drinks during parties . 

We didn't notice any smoking the last time. I'm pretty sure as vistaman said that smoking is not allowed anymore in the rooms.

While alcohol is not included, there is often free alcohol at events/parties and the prices are very reasonable otherwise. Same goes for the spa by the way. Prices are at about 50% of what is charged on American ships.

The excursion offerings are pretty standard and also a bit cheaper IIRC. They have a concierge that can arrange excursions outside of their normal offering but I found them to be fairly useless in Australia. They might be better in areas they cruise more often. They do have bikes on board and a lot of ports had bike excursions for the more active guests. 

• Like 1

I'm also concerned about smoking.  It seems from the official web site that smoking is permitted on all verandas, and all outside decks, except the Yacht Club (but including the outside area of Sandbar). This is markedly more permissive than most cruise lines.  I think the biggest problem would potentially be if your suite neighbours regularly smoked on their veranda.

Looks like you CAN still smoke on your verandah. 😕 I only had an issue with it once though about 15 years ago. A lot less smoking happening nowadays. image.png.c52fd09c44f41c3a3b1604e2e2a867d7.png